Gasrforum
HomeLandingEventsContactStaffMemberlistSend creditsRegisterLog in

GASR News

TOS Update: Blacklists
July 31, 2017 #tos #update

We've made an update to our Rules & Guidelines. More specifically, our guidelines covering harassment. Click here to read about the change.

Profile Awards
July 24, 2017 #update

Because of the whole mess with photobucket changing how their image hosting works, a lot of users have lost some award badges. Click here for more information!

GASR's New Moderators
July 20, 2017 #aanouncement

After carefully reviewing each application we've received, we are pleased to announce our newest staff members! Click here to view our new team members!

Photobucket TOS Change
June 30, 2017 #announcement

Photobucket has changed their Terms of Service which is affecting a lot of our members currently. Linking images from their website is no longer allowed with free accounts. Click here for more information.

GASR Moderator Applications are CLOSED
June 12, 2017 #update

Yes, it's that time again; we are in dire need of more volunteers to help moderate our forum and ensure that all members behave according to our forum rules. Click here to apply!

AP GUIDELINES REFRESHER & RULE CHANGE
June 10, 2017 #announcement

Due to the recent influx of users violating the AP guidelines set by Forumotion that we are required to enforce, we've decided that a little refresher on that section of the rule book was needed. Click here for further information.

Artist of the Moment

Sewn

Visit my shop View my bio

My name is Julia, I've been drawing for 10 years! I've been a part of the gasr community for 4 years now and it's one of the most heartwarming community's I've been in. I've always loved drawing since I was tiny and It's my dream to make a living out of drawing art <3 Thank you for all the love and support!

Facebook: Click
DA: Click

Online Staff

Staff Status Updates

STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
Poll
Do you think GASR should move to its own private server?
Yes
43%
 43% [ 446 ]
No
11%
 11% [ 114 ]
Not Now
4%
 4% [ 45 ]
Not Sure
18%
 18% [ 181 ]
Don't Care if We Stay or Go
24%
 24% [ 243 ]
Total Votes : 1029

Statistics

We have 15229 registered users
The newest registered user is papojager

Our users have posted a total of 268697 messages in 4649 subjects

GASR Time

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
Mon 31 Jul 2017 - 16:14
Hey GASRians,

We've made an update to our Rules & Guidelines.  More specifically, our guidelines covering harassment.  Public blacklists will now fall under "Posting someone's name in a negative light."

GASR wrote:
HARASSMENT IS NOT ALLOWED

"Harassment" could include the following:

• Posting inappropriate, rude, or threatening comments in someone's thread or via private message
  • Creating an alternative account in order to contact a person who has explicitly asked for you to leave them alone
  • Threatening to commit either physical or emotional abuse to another person
  • Emotionally abusing someone
  • Posting someone's name in a negative light
  • Criticizing someone's work when there is no ground for you to do so. It is fine to dislike another artist's work, but please don't post about it in their shop.

The punishment of harassment varies from case to case, but will always result in at least a level 2 behavioral warning.

The staff as a whole discussed this.  We ultimately came to this decision due to it irrefutably breaking this section of our TOS, even though the line for harassment can be a little blurry, and because of numerous reports of artists abusing users in their shops, using blacklists as a way to personally attack someone,  which we have witnessed first hand several times.  The names on your blacklist are only useful to you.

This rule goes into effect today, however, we are giving all users until August 7, 2017 to fully remove all blacklists they've made public anywhere on the forum.  (Shops, profiles, signatures, posts, etc.)

Future findings of blacklists after this date will result in the natural progression of warnings for harassment, starting with an Official Warning.  We do not give friendly reminders out for harassment.

Thanks,
GASR Staff
Mon 31 Jul 2017 - 16:22
thank god for this
bless
Mon 31 Jul 2017 - 16:31
To be honest, I've noticed them, but I didn't really look at them like that until this.   I'm glad this issue was updated on then.
Mon 31 Jul 2017 - 17:19
About time, I see way to many people abusing black-lists.
Mon 31 Jul 2017 - 18:33
in a way i understand this

though speaking from my personal view as an artist who witnessed someone trying to steal money from AFTER i delivered art to them (im not the only one on this case trust me) i believe blacklists are also reasonable so that other artists dont have to deal with the problems others had; 
unless you actually make a rule that after looking into each case of attempted scam/scam youll ban the user (idk how that works i might be wrong) 

im also not saying artists are the only ones that get scammed 
Mon 31 Jul 2017 - 18:46
If you're getting scammed, why aren't you reporting it?  We have rules and processes in place to give consequences out to users who do that, leading up to a ban.

We can't fix an issue with someone if we don't know there is one.  D8

I kinda wish you guys would read over the TOS more often, because it's more than just rules.  There's a lot of information in there that helps both artists and buyers if they come across issues.

http://www.gasrforum.com/h1-rules-and-guidelines#shop-two

Mon 31 Jul 2017 - 18:51
i did report it and the action was taken indeed though the user hasnt been banned (their bars were taken off tho) 

but sometimes even if reported mods dont have enough evidence and not much action is taken
Mon 31 Jul 2017 - 18:56
We don't just go around banning everyone on first offense.  That's why we have levels of warnings and start different things off at certain levels.  

Not paying for something once doesn't necessarily mean someone deserves a ban.  Shit happens, and sometimes you just have to give the benefit of the doubt.  However, if the user constantly didn't pay for things, obviously that's when we would bring out the severe consequences with warning docks and temp bans.  

Looks are deceiving.  We don't mark an account banned for temp bans, so that doesn't mean action wasn't taken.  If someone is a repeat offender, they're obviously not going to be around the forum for long. We don't advertise our courses of action on a user for the off-chance someone gets their shit together and wants to redeem themselves, unless they give us a reason to.

+ If someone has scammed you, I don't see where there would be a case where you wouldn't be able to provide enough evidence..  If you were scammed, you were scammed.  It's pretty black and white when it involves losing money (or artwork if you're a buyer).

Mon 31 Jul 2017 - 18:58
hmm.. pretty sure i said someone was TRYING to scam me therefore i did get my money back after explaining and providing proof to paypal;
also im not the only one on this case which i also stated in my first post
Mon 31 Jul 2017 - 19:04
I'm speaking in general, Hobi, so that these other people who may be thrown into a similar boat know we have a system in place to take care of this and to come report it to us so it gets resolved.

Mon 31 Jul 2017 - 19:19
ye i agree with @hobi i never really used it to call someone out in a bad light, it was more of a reminder to them and other artists of what people do these kind of things. most of the time, actions are taken against the user but sometimes there are cases where people's shops rules say "if u do this i will blacklist u" and then the person does whatever they shouldnt have and is visibly blacklisted as a result. even though its against the rules to not follow shop rules typically users dont get a bar docked for this because its not a "serious offense" compared to things like art theft. ofcourse you cant go giving offences left and right. like stated its a very blurry line in some cases, so users take it up for themselves to make a blacklist. mods dont always have enough evidence to dock someones bar, sometimes its small things that give away when someone is being a scam buyer, and even though people have been reported to mods there hasnt been a bar knocked off. an example of this can be one of the requests thread where the requester was obviously to me and others a scam buyer but only their thread got locked and they didnt get a bar removed. so naturally people take it up for themselves to choose not to make art for that person anymore and display it so other users can be wary too. this is pretty much a replacement for people who dont have any bars missing but commit offenses like these and get away with it due to their not being enough evidence. (fair enough, i would act the same if i was mod. evidence over anything.)

obviously the mods have been doing a good job but sometimes its hard to take action when the lines are super blurry. for me its like when people do it once they will definitely do it again, like cheating in relationships for an example. this is where blacklists came in to warn artists. what im saying is harrassment wasnt on my mind at all when i made a blacklist. its too bad if the offenders themselves get offended over their username being on my profile. just be civilised and dont break rules. simple. its just my two cents 
Mon 31 Jul 2017 - 19:38
@Queen wrote:
Looks are deceiving.

I know it's frustrating not knowing what's going on all the time, but how do you know locking the topic was the only course of action we took, or plan on taking if terms given weren't met?  This is what I'm trying to explain.  A lot of the animosity surrounding warnings, or lack thereof, is caused by assumptions that things aren't getting done for cases that require thorough investigation, making us look overly harsh when it's easier to give someone a warning for having breasts near fully exposed or causing a public scene.

Like I said before, we don't just ban a user over word of mouth, and we don't do it without being sure that it's legit and that they did mean ill-intent, which is where the level of warnings come into place.  You were told to contact me if you wanted more information regarding your situation, and my inbox is open, love.

Regardless of how any of us swing it, a user is put on a blacklist for a negative reason.  Making it public means you are naming them in a negative light.  We can't have loopholes in the rules, or it'll give the illusion that parts of the TOS are open for interpretation.
Mon 31 Jul 2017 - 19:51
nah i felt like everything that was said was all there was needed to be said since others pmed me too about it, so i dont think if i contacted you it wouldve made a difference, otherwise ofcourse i wouldve. i know the TOS isnt open for interpretation and everything is clear where it should be, but i do think blacklists were useful more than they were harmful. i dont particularly have a problem with this, but i wanted to give some insight into how people who had blacklists may interpret the situation
Mon 31 Jul 2017 - 19:58
We can't go around having blacklists as it causes people to judge other users for reasons unknown. If a situation has arisen between you and a user there is indeed a system like Chelly has already said, to deal with it. Blacklists make it hard for people to be given a chance as you've already casted them in a bad light. They're not given the chance to improve before everyone has made presumptions of them.

Mon 31 Jul 2017 - 20:21
A problem that can be associated with blacklists does have to do with harassment and slander. You are essentially taking a user’s name and publicly saying “I don’t deal with them and neither should you, here is why…”. A person can make a mistake. This does not make them a bad person. There are instances where a buyer may not be able to pay for art, this does not mean they will never pay for art. There have been instances where reputable buyers have been at fault for not being able to pay. Does that mean for the one instance you should publicly expose their singular mistake or situation? If a person gets sick after they have commissioned an artist and then cancels, do you still require them to pay when they state that they are financially strapped?

Put yourself in the person’s shoes. How would you feel if you went into a shop and saw your name on their blacklist? What if your reason was completely legit? Just like how their reason could have been totally legit.

You may not be conscious of it, but when you see a name on a “Blacklist” you have just made a schema. (A schema is a mental shortcut, which means you are more susceptible to thinking specific things when you see that which created the stigma, like a name).

For example:

Lets say Cain is Blacklisted in Poisonous’s shop and she has a public blacklist. If Poisonous’s customers see Cain’s name anywhere else they will automatically have a preconceived notion of who he is and how he acts all solely based on seeing his name in a blacklist.
Now lets say Cain is on the blacklist because he was hospitalized for a serious injury causing him to be both financially strapped and unable to contact Poisonous. He is basically being punished for having been injured and having a real life situation.

However I do understand that sometimes there are reasons, other than payment, where you do not want to work with an individual. But those are personal reasons. Your rules can state that you reserve every right to reject an order. That is the professional thing to do. It is a blanket statement that applies to everyone. You are not singling out any individual.

Your reasons for not wanting to work with an individual, or individuals, are your reasons - not anyone else’s. As Chelly stated, if you have a problem with a user that is reportable, do report it to a mod. Do not be a vigilant. Do not take matters into your own hands. We are here to try and make GASR a safe and welcome place for people to buy and sell art.

Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next