Gasrforum
Home2EventsContactStaffMemberlistSend creditsRegisterLog in

Statistics

We have 9570 registered users
The newest registered user is ixAurora

Our users have posted a total of 15096 messages in 450 subjects

Was this helpful to you? Please give your feedback here or send me a PM!
Yes
100%
 100% [ 4 ]
No
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:48 pm
What to Expect When Ordering Art For The 1st Time

Hello, welcome to the GASR Forum! Is this your first time ordering art? Are you confused about what artists expect from you as their customer? Don't worry, GASRians(including myself) are here to help!

This guide is made to mostly help NEW customers, and maybe help those who already have an idea of what to expect when ordering art. This guide may help other aspiring artists with their shops, too. All of the information you'll find here is advice and opinions from our fellow artists, which will include:

• What you need to know about our artists
  • What they like and dislike in orders
  • Other information

Table of Contents
Click to be directed to specific sections of this guide.

Get to Know our Artists
Art & Information About Ordering
Payments
Other Information

Last edited by Blueberry on Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:01 pm

Get to know Our Artists

Part I: Do Not Rush The Artist
Artists on GASR (or anywhere else) are very busy people and have their own personal lives to take care of--just like you and me! Many are students in either high school or college, or some may already have their careers going. Artists on GASR do art for a variety of reasons, which include (but are not limited to):

• Paying expenses. (School, medical, car, supplies, etc.)
  • It is one of their main sources of income.
  • Extra cash to have for themselves.
  • Hobby: Wanting to improve art and become better at it.
  • Stress relief.
  • Just for fun!

Part II: What do artists use?
All artists come from different backgrounds, skill levels, and seniority.  Some artists here have been doing art for more than 10 years, whereas there are also artists that only have been doing art for only a few years or less.  It differs greatly!

Every artist works with different styles and mediums. The majority on GASR do digital artwork, where they paint, draw, and sketch artwork using a tablet/mouse on a computer, and use various programs such as Adobe Photoshop, Paint Tool Sai, GIMP, Manga Studio, Fire Alpaca, Sketch Book Pro, etc.  Many like to work from "scratch"/blank canvas. Some use screenies (or screenshots), which are screenshots of virtual IMVU avatars. Those who work with these screenies are known as "avatar enhancers." As you can see, the possibilities are endless.

If you need IMVU screenies, you can either buy premade screenies located in the premade section here and/or learn how to take your very own by using one of my tutorials here.

Last edited by Blueberry on Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:04 pm

Art & Information About Ordering

So, you're probably wondering what artists offer here on GASR.  Many offer paintings, display picture (DP) edits, drawings, repaints, pixel art, sketches, chibis, and even IMVU product icons + banners. However, don't look for IMVU homepage designs here--you will not find them! Instead go to HBADCommunity or CanvasForums to find a homepage designer to create a homepage that suits your interests.

GASR has a free shop section where you may order free art! (Careful though, not everyone will get art in certain shops! But don't be disappointed, you can always re-post orders if the shop owner allows you to.) However, there is a section where you can order art and pay the artist, and it is guaranteed to be 100% made for you. That section is called the "Custom Art Shop" section. Artists in this section work in a timely manner.

Part III: Likes and Dislikes
When you place an order, what do GASR artists expect from you as their customer? What do they dislike that customers do? Generally speaking, every artist needs different information when it comes down to a customer's order:

• All the order details must be filled out in their form.
    This helps them stay organized with the key points of what you want. Examples include eye color, skin color, and theme.

• Follow their rules, this is a MUST.
    Most artists don't like to repeat their rules when it has already been stated. Don't ignore their rules. Whether artists make free art or not, it is important to follow their guidelines. Every artist will specify their needs from their customers, and they always ask for their customers to read their rules.

• Specify what you want, don't be vague with your order(s).
    Give enough detail so the artist will do what you want, but do not overpower the description.

A good example of this would be: "I would like my OC's (original character) hair to be long and blonde like Rapunzel. Please add a rose on her left ear, and a golden crown on her head that has red gem stones. I would like for her dainty hand to be on her cheek. She has pink nail polish as well. Her facial structure is delicate and her expression is happy. Big breasts please! My references and character chart are linked below. Have fun!"

A bad example would be: "I want my OC to have 10 feet long blonde hair in the shade of dirty blonde with golden highlights. I want a blooming rose on her left ear that has multiple petals falling and thorns poking from the stem. I want a crown like a princess on her head that is shiny like stars, and the crown to have bright red gems that sparkle in the light. I want her hand to be 5 inches away from her eyes and her fingernails to be pink like bubble gum. Make her fingers thin like a model, not too fat please. I want her facial structure JUST LIKE Angelina Jolie, and her lips must have a big smile, eyes wide, and no wrinkles on her face. I want her breasts to be this big like this artist's recent DP. I have provided many links to specific colors and pictures below. I hope this isn't too much, please let me know if you need more detail."

• Give the artist a reasonable price with what you order. Don't "low-ball" their art.

• Be nice and respectful of the artist and their style--do NOT try to change their style.
    Being rude to them will not do any good for you, and will create multiple misunderstandings. Also, artists do not like it when any customer tells them to make their artwork look exactly like someone else's. Comparing an artist to another one is a big NO. Just like you and me, artists are human too. They have feelings + limitations to what they can do.

• Pay the artist in a timely manner.
    If there is a case where you couldn't pay the artist on time, let them know. Do not avoid the payment and not pick up your order. Excuses will not be tolerated either. Doing any of these could put you on the artist's blacklist.

• Don't ask for huge changes after the order(s) are completed.
    Some artists will do small changes, such as eye color changes, but most will not completely change a huge part of the artwork if you are unsatisfied with the results. That is why it is a must to be specific in your order(s). Artists may charge for extra changes too.

• Communicate with the artist.  They are not scary people!
    It's important to stay in contact with the artist when they are working on your order. It's okay to ask about their progress occasionally, if they are taking longer than expected, but do not pressure and constantly question them. As mentioned before, artists can be really busy with their personal lives too. Most will let you know if something is going on, so don't worry! DO ask questions if you are confused, and answer questions when the artist is confused. Miscommunication may lead to conflicts.

• Make sure you have enough money to pay for the art.
    No artists like when their customers don't have the funds to pay them after all their hard work.

If you do not know how to order from a shop, you can refer to my tutorial here.

Last edited by Blueberry on Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:05 pm

Payments

Part IV: What are the options and how do they work?
Artists use different method of payments for their orders, which may include (but are not limited to):

• Electronic Cash Payments via PayPal
  • IMVU Credits
  • DeviantArt Points
  • Game Currencies

Most artists on GASR prefer Paypal, but most will usually accept more than one method of payment. It all depends on the artist. Just make sure you know what method of payment they use before you order.

Notes:
- Some artists may ask for payments up front, in the middle progress, or after the final product has been presented to their customers. Some may also ask for half of the payment first. Whatever the case is, follow the artists instructions on payments!
- Some artist accept bribes too, but most do not. If you as a customer plan to bribe an artist, discuss this with them.

How to pay with IMVU credits?

This is a video tutorial on how to send IMVU credits.

Some artists may choose to use "sticker" payments.  Sticker payments are when an artist with an IMVU account creates a sticker product summing the total cost of their commissions.  The buyer(you) will need an IMVU account as well to purchase this sticker if you choose this as your payment method.  You must have real IMVU credits.  Promo Credits (or predits) are not accepted. Artists who accept this payment method will have the sticker link(s) provided in their shop.  Payments made via stickers are not accessible by the artist until after a 2 week holding period as per IMVU's guidelines.

How to pay with Paypal?

Here is a tutorial on how to set up an account and use Paypal. (Coming soon)

For most payments, proof must be given. Some artists may not require for you to give them proof, so keep an eye out for that under their guidelines! All you have to do is screenshot the verification page, upload the screenshot, and link it to the artist. I recommend using Gyazo for screenshots! It's quick and easy.
All you have to do is click the icon on your desktop, click and drag the area of the screen that you want to screenshot, and then copy and paste the automatic link it gives you.

Here is a link to the download.
Here is a quick tutorial on how to use Gyazo (for you visual learners!).

Last edited by Blueberry on Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:09 pm

Other Information

Commission Sizes
As you may (or may not) have seen, many artists on GASR work with 160x220 size canvases so that users can show off their new artwork on the forum and other websites that use this popular default size as profile images. Some do work with bigger canvases upon request. It is important to discuss that information with the artist if you want art created on a bigger canvas size.

Remember: Bigger art = higher payment!

Customer Satisfaction
Artists on GASR will always want their customers to be satisfied with their order and experiences with them. It's not a bad idea to give them a review--some artists post reviews on their shops.  

If there is ever a dispute between you and an artist, don't bring it to public threads. It is best to talk things out through private messaging via GASR's message system.

Fraudulent Artists & What to Do if You Encounter One
How do you know if an artist is legit or not? The Art Theft Moderators will help with that. If you find something suspicious or is against GASR's (or Forumotion's) Terms of Service, feel free to contact one of the Art Theft Moderators. Also, refer to this.

If there is anything else you would like for me to add, send me a PM! Thank you for reading, and I hope this is helpful to all the new and old artists alike. Once again, Welcome to GASR!

Special thanks to these artists that helped me gather information for this guide:
Capsule, Vietnamese, Krist, Mattie, Mashiro, Hedwig, Yeri, and Songbird

Special thanks to these individuals for helping me edit this guide:
Mashiro, Vietnamese, and Queen (who helped me code this!)

**Any part of this tutorial is subjected to change.**
Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:15 pm
Extra
Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:16 pm
This tutorial is mostly finished! I may add a few things if needed, other that, I hope you guys like it! Thank you again to those who helped me put this together. You guys are awesome!
Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:38 pm
This is looking really nice. I like the color changes you made.
Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:06 pm
@Queen
Thank you! You and the other wonderful people helped
me very much with finishing this. :) I appreciate it.
Page 1 of 1