Gasrforum
HomeLandingContactStaffMemberlistSend creditsRegisterLog in

GASR News

New DeviantArt Group!
May 8, 2017 #announcement

GASRfags is now GASRforum! We've decided to start a fresh new group on DeviantArt to showcase all of your artwork that you submit. Click here for further information.

Moderator Reassignments + New GASR Tumblr
May 6, 2017 #announcement

We have made some changes to our current staff list and have some new information regarding social media. Click here for further information.

Moving GASR / New Features & Suggestions
April 26, 2017 #discussion

After a discussion between you guys and the staff, we've decided on moving GASR to its own private server. We are leaving the discussion thread up so you guys can continue to provide feedback, suggestions, and new features for the new forum. Click here for more information!

Space Day Celebration
April 17, 2017 #contest

Welcome to GASR's first ever Space Day event! Serenity has put together this brand new occasion to share with you all. Click here to participate!

Broken Profile Tables
April 12, 2017 #forum

Mar came across an issue where some of the member profile tables were broken. Click here to see if it effected you and how to fix it.

Artist of the Moment

KARISMIC

Visit my shop View my bio

My name is Alicia and I have been doing art since 2011. I have been a member of Gasr since shortly after it started and I really enjoy the time I have spent here and all the wonderful people I have met. I started making art because its something I always enjoyed but never felt I was good at it. At least not with pencil and paper. I have found digital art to be comforting and I enjoy making art to share with people and I hope everyone enjoys what I make just as much as I do. I am a 35 year old stay at home mom with 2 kids. Art gives me relief from a 5 year old and an almost 14 year old. Thank you for reading and I hope that me being the artist of the moment will bring me some new buyers and friends!

Online Staff

Staff Status Updates

STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
Poll
Do you think GASR should move to its own private server?
Yes
48%
 48% [ 288 ]
No
13%
 13% [ 76 ]
Not Now
4%
 4% [ 25 ]
Not Sure
17%
 17% [ 102 ]
Don't Care if We Stay or Go
18%
 18% [ 107 ]
Total Votes : 598

Statistics

We have 15528 registered users
The newest registered user is ghazol

Our users have posted a total of 205336 messages in 3398 subjects

GASR Time

Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:20 pm
As of recent, I've been having a lot of problems with making art for someone, and ending up without my money. Not too long ago I had someone buy a premade and scam me to get their money back from PayPal, and more recently I have people (off-site) ordering from me and ending up unable to pay because they didn't have the funds in the first place.

Before I start a commission, I do tell them how much it will cost up front and make sure they know what my terms are before I start. They tell me it's all okay and great, but when it comes to payment, all of a sudden they're not responding to my messages as quickly as they used to, throwing out excuses as to why they need extensions for the time I give them to pay, etc etc. They always have a reason as to why I shouldn't put it up for sale as a premade, and it just takes a really long time before I actually get paid.

Do you guys take any precautionary measures to make sure you get paid? I'm thinking about asking for payment before I start drawing, but I'm not sure if that turns people away from ordering.
Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:48 am
Many professional freelance artists request 50% payment upfront and then the other 50% once they're at least half way done with the commission.
And also on Paypal just to ensure you don't get a chargeback, start doing invoices and have a set of guidelines/rules set up and a file (I think you can attach a file/pic) attached to the invoice to show proof that they received their art. You also clarify in the description that the payment was for a digital commission. If you can't connect the picture to the invoice then a link in the description should suffice. Just make sure the link works for awhile incase the person tries to do a chargeback within the 90 days of you getting paid by them and try to say you didn't deliver when the link shows you did and they are breaking your guidelines that they agreed to so Paypal will just wave it away and refund you if it happens. After 90 days they can't do anything unless they want to spend money on a lawyer.

For me my orders I prefer payment first but not really concerned with imvu credit orders since I don't use them much but if the person using that form of payment didn't want to pay then I just throw the order in my premade shop and let it get snatched up there. Big art orders I now prefer half payment up front then rest of the payment once I'm half way done and yeah have payment done via invoice with everything I mentioned above so they don't try to scam me. Hope I helped!
Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:42 pm
@Rosiecakes - Thank you! Yeah, I only charge $4.43 for a dp so I feel like the paying 50% idea may be less effective, so I'm changing my terms to asking for full payment first. I know I shouldn't feel bad for putting a custom up for sale as a premade, but ive gotten so many people who get angry with me over it that I end up giving them more time to pay than I realize. I've used an invoice to pay someone else before, but I've never tried to send one out myself. I think if the payment first thing doesn't work out, I'll try that
Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:59 pm
Oh and if you just want to let people pay after, give them at most 72 hours to pay. Giving a week or longer just leads to them not caring but it's a big deal since you did the commission they ordered from you. In the end yeah paying first is best and shouldn't be a problem with that price. And yeah the invoice is very useful mainly just so you can quickly show proof that the person who requested a chargeback ordered art from you and accepted your guidelines for no refunds etc.
Also if you don't have it bolded in red or something, make sure to do so with a rule stating to having payment sent within first 24 hours of ordering. Then they don't have to worry it since payment has been dealt with.
Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:38 pm
@Hedwig I've ordered art from a fair few people and one thing loads of them do are after the first wip they ask for payment, As people end up f insinuating a full piece of art and then having people say "Oh I don't want it" I've done it a few times only because I had to give up work when mum got ill but I was honest about this so people weren't as angry, if people don't have a legitimate reason or don't contact you with an update within 48 hours then it's you're right to sell it off and with the issue about being scammed back out of money make sure you document proof of both payment and art being sent. So that if it happens you have proof that they did receive it.
Preferably send it via email and ask them to message back saying they have recieved it x
Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:02 pm
@Victimised - Yeah, that's kind of what happened with me this time around haha. I don't typically do wips unless I am asked for it because it is hard for me to stop a drawing and wait for a response in the middle, but I've seen people who do that after the lineart was finished. And I do ask for proof and stuff, but believe it or not, even with all the screenshots I had as proof that she bought, PayPal sided with the scammer and gave her the money back. Apparently the seller is protected with invoices though, so I think I'm going to try that out too.
Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:55 pm
Yeah it's why a lot of artists have mentioned it multiple times to use invoices for all commissions etc. Like I don't do it with people I trust and know wouldn't scam me but I still take precautions with shop orders etc.
Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:38 pm
Hedwig wrote:
@Victimised - Yeah, that's kind of what happened with me this time around haha. I don't typically do wips unless I am asked for it because it is hard for me to stop a drawing and wait for a response in the middle, but I've seen people who do that after the lineart was finished. And I do ask for proof and stuff, but believe it or not, even with all the screenshots I had as proof that she bought, PayPal sided with the scammer and gave her the money back. Apparently the seller is protected with invoices though, so I think I'm going to try that out too.

The invoice options is the best way to go.  After you send an invoice and they pay, there's an option to tell PayPal that they received the digital/physical item they paid for to finish out the invoice.  Once they say yes to that, they can't chargeback for it later on down the road.

It's easier than having to deal with refunds for x reason if the person who ordered from you changed their mind or you for some reason can't finish the commission.

I am unavailable Thurs-Sat.  Please be patient if you've tagged me or sent me a PM.
Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:43 pm
@Queen - Sorry I don't know if I totally understood that. So I send the invoice, they pay it, and they tell PayPal that they received the art? Or am I telling PayPal that I gave it to them?
Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:50 pm
sORRY LOL.

Okay so you send an invoice, buyer pays, you receive confirmation, buyer then has an option that pops up where they can confirm they received whatever they purchased, even if it's digital goods.  Once that's confirmed, you're pretty much good to go.

They can't decide 3months down the road they want their money back and tell PayPal they didnt' receive their item, which is what 99% of refund requests are for.

Just kindly remind them to hit yes to that once they receive their DP.

I am unavailable Thurs-Sat.  Please be patient if you've tagged me or sent me a PM.
Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:44 pm
@Queen - Okay I get it now haha. I am so slow when it comes to this kind of thing
Thank you~
Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:46 pm
No worries. Lots of people don't know invoicing even exists and it would help with a lot of the shady shit people try to pull on artists, so any questions about it are welcome.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:13 pm
Yeah we definitely need to make it aware to more artists, random scams on here and on DA wouldn't happen in the first place if invoices had been made obvious that they were the safe approach towards accepting payment for art services.
Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:28 pm
@Rosiecakes wrote:
Yeah we definitely need to make it aware to more artists, random scams on here and on DA wouldn't happen in the first place if invoices had been made obvious that they were the safe approach towards accepting payment for art services.

Yeah, I'm re-making the PayPal guide and I'm going to include a section for invoices in it. Hopefully that helps more people out. That guide needed a fresh coat of paint anyway, lol.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:38 pm
Lol yeah it did, awesome you're updating it. I'll link it in my siggy on here to help too after it's updated :D
Page 1 of 1