Gasrforum
HomeLandingEventsContactStaffMemberlistSend creditsRegisterLog in

GASR News

Profile Awards
July 24, 2017 #update

Because of the whole mess with photobucket changing how their image hosting works, a lot of users have lost some award badges. Click here for more information!

GASR's New Moderators
July 20, 2017 #aanouncement

After carefully reviewing each application we've received, we are pleased to announce our newest staff members! Click here to view our new team members!

Photobucket TOS Change
June 30, 2017 #announcement

Photobucket has changed their Terms of Service which is affecting a lot of our members currently. Linking images from their website is no longer allowed with free accounts. Click here for more information.

GASR Moderator Applications are CLOSED
June 12, 2017 #update

Yes, it's that time again; we are in dire need of more volunteers to help moderate our forum and ensure that all members behave according to our forum rules. Click here to apply!

AP GUIDELINES REFRESHER & RULE CHANGE
June 10, 2017 #announcement

Due to the recent influx of users violating the AP guidelines set by Forumotion that we are required to enforce, we've decided that a little refresher on that section of the rule book was needed. Click here for further information.

Beta Testers Needed
June 4, 2017 #important

We need beta testers for the new forum! Click here for further information.

Artist of the Moment

xxAphroditeGoddess

Visit my shop View my bio

Hey! I'm Michele, better known as Aphrodite.I really enjoy making art and been doing it for years now. I'm trying to learn and improve everyday! Be a part of my journey and come pay a visit at my shop.New friends are always welcome!

Online Staff

Staff Status Updates

STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
Poll
Do you think GASR should move to its own private server?
Yes
44%
 44% [ 404 ]
No
11%
 11% [ 104 ]
Not Now
4%
 4% [ 37 ]
Not Sure
17%
 17% [ 157 ]
Don't Care if We Stay or Go
23%
 23% [ 212 ]
Total Votes : 914

Statistics

We have 15277 registered users
The newest registered user is kiwi589

Our users have posted a total of 246162 messages in 4240 subjects

GASR Time

Which aspect is most important to you
Every shop must add a category
6%
 6% [ 1 ]
Add a category for both Credits and PayPal
29%
 29% [ 5 ]
Ability to select multiple categories
24%
 24% [ 4 ]
An option to filter the categories
18%
 18% [ 3 ]
Nothing, its fine as is
23%
 23% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 17

Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:11 am
I haven't bought a DP in a while, and when I was hunting for the right artist/shop for me, I found it very difficult. I was looking for someone who'd accept credits and does regular DP's.

Whats wrong (in my opinion) and how we could fix it.

• Every shop MUST add a category - I found it uneasy to find shops that do regular DP's no pixel art or drawings etc. I opened many shops that weren't just regular DP's.
  • Add a category for both Credits and PayPal - There are some shops that accept both. So why is there categories that ONLY have credits or ONLY have PayPal.
  • Remove 1 category only option and allow people to select multiple categories. I know the category "graphics" kind of sums every type of art but thats very broad for a forum specifically made for art.
  • An option to filter the categories

Last edited by Install on Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:03 am
@Diablous
this might be something to be answered.
@Install - it might be a little difficult to get every category added into a list. i offer art that doesn't fall under dps, pixels etc.
there's a lot of artists with different talents, and it wouldn't be as specific to just add a 'misc' option, since that's usually vague.
plus, i'm not sure if we have those type of options to make filtering? GASR is built of forumotion which can lack a lot of things to make the customization as we like it to be.
if there's a big problem looking through threads, may i advise opening a request thread??
i believe this post could also call for a vote, since i'm not sure if others are as concerned about the different categories.
most of the time shops that don't offer just credits or just paypal, but rather both .. don't really have a label.
and i don't think artists should be forced to make a choice for their shop, unless it states it in the ToS of GASR.
Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:25 pm
@hime I'm kinda new to ordering from gasr. I've only done it twice before. Plus I saw most request threads offer PayPal. I offer credits. Also I don't understand one thing. If multiple people make you a dp and in reality you only want one. Those 3 or 4 other people who made you a dp is wasted their time?

And I opened every single topic on the first page of custom art. I literally only saw, a lot of anime, a lot of drawing, a lot of regular, a few pixel art and barely any icons. There really isn't many
Categories. Ofcourse you can go more specific into things like anime. Since there is different types. But at least it sums up a similar type of art. So I do think you can fit all categories.

As for the filtering, I'm pretty sure it's possible through search if they optimised it more. Almost every forum has this type of search.

The forcing of a category makes it easier for a customer to identify a shop. I'm not on gasr all the time, like those who have a shop and basically knows everyone active gasr user. So it becomes hard for me. You must think of this through a customer perspective

I'll add a poll when I get on my computer
Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:36 am
@Diabolus

Quote :
Every shop MUST add a category - I found it uneasy to find shops that do regular DP's no pixel art or drawings etc. I opened many shops that weren't just regular DP's.

I don't see how this helps because then you're stuck with the issue that people aren't using the correct categories, which a lot of people already don't.

Quote :
Add a category for both Credits and PayPal - There are some shops that accept both. So why is there categories that ONLY have credits or ONLY have PayPal.

Idk, maybe it's not showing on your gasr, but each category has three options.  <Category>, PayPal(P) <Category>, Credits(C) <Category>.  Anyone who accepts both would just use the Category option that does not specify only credits or only PayPal.

Quote :
-Remove 1 category only option and allow people to select multiple categories. I know the category "graphics" kind of sums every type of art but thats very broad for a forum specifically made for art.
-An option to filter the categories

What?  It's not broad at all if you consider this forum caters to only specific types of artwork, like display images, pixels, and OC/Character Design.  However, having the option for multiple categories would be cool for those who would use them.  I can already see shops of people who put in so many categories that their shop name is nearly invisible.  It'll be great, LOL.  (I'm not being sarcastic about it, either.)  But considering the category options we have now is probably a special code/script thing someone else on forumotion came up with, the possibility to allow multiple options is slim to none.

Quote :
The forcing of a category makes it easier for a customer to identify a shop. I'm not on gasr all the time, like those who have a shop and basically knows everyone active gasr user. So it becomes hard for me. You must think of this through a customer perspective

You must also think of this through an artist's perspective.  The forcing of a category also adds another line to the long list of rules art shop owners already have to follow that seems unnecessary.  I don't even glance at the category section when I make a new thread.  Unless we have someone who stays on top of it, forcing the use of the category system and making sure people are doing it right seems like a waste of mod time.

I'ts kind like how I wish there was a rule that nobody could use a font size less than 10px to cater to those with shitty eyesight, but who am I to argue with a generic aesthetic a lot of people have, y'know?  Most of my opinion on this is a mix of a shop owner and mod perspective, 'cause I just see this as unneeded work when they have a hard time keeping up with the work they already have.  

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:45 pm
Wanting to add, @Install -

The idea of multiple categories would be useful for shop searching, from my perspective.
Especially if you can save these "tag queries" to re-run later to see what new shops might have opened.
For example, if there were three categories "Price Point", "Art Type" and "Payment" - you could filter by like-minded shops. Or even
just sort by the "credit" payment option.

If the three categories existed, it would look like (for my shop): "$", "Pixels", "Credits/PayPal"

Yes this addition would be tricky to add in, but I really think it's be beneficial for the customer / vendor base that'd be willing to participate.
It might not be required, but it might be something a great handful could get on board with.

It's also why I only really stick to one person for my avatar art, I have no idea who else does what and for how much.
Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:31 pm
Quote :
I don't see how this helps because then you're stuck with the issue that people aren't using the correct categories, which a lot of people already don't.

If GASR makes it a banable/punishment offense people will naturally start to follow along

Quote :
Idk, maybe it's not showing on your gasr, but each category has three options.  <Category>, PayPal(P) <Category>, Credits(C) <Category>.  Anyone who accepts both would just use the Category option that does not specify only credits or only PayPal.

They should make that a little more clear then? By adding both symbols to the icon.

Quote :
What?  It's not broad at all if you consider this forum caters to only specific types of artwork, like display images, pixels, and OC/Character Design.  However, having the option for multiple categories would be cool for those who would use them.  I can already see shops of people who put in so many categories that their shop name is nearly invisible.  It'll be great, LOL.  (I'm not being sarcastic about it, either.)  But considering the category options we have now is probably a special code/script thing someone else on forumotion came up with, the possibility to allow multiple options is slim to none.

What about product icons, banners, I remember at one point I saw people doing ads for products. Graphics sums up the art made here.

Quote :
You must also think of this through an artist's perspective.  The forcing of a category also adds another line to the long list of rules art shop owners already have to follow that seems unnecessary.  I don't even glance at the category section when I make a new thread.  Unless we have someone who stays on top of it, forcing the use of the category system and making sure people are doing it right seems like a waste of mod time.

I'ts kind like how I wish there was a rule that nobody could use a font size less than 10px to cater to those with shitty eyesight, but who am I to argue with a generic aesthetic a lot of people have, y'know?  Most of my opinion on this is a mix of a shop owner and mod perspective, 'cause I just see this as unneeded work when they have a hard time keeping up with the work they already have.  

The artist is running a for profit business. There is suppose to be a long list of rules. That's how the real world works. If the forum just makes it a requirement to pick one everytime you edit/create a topic. Its not a rule you need to remember or keep in mind.

Then why don't you make the font size 10px to cater to eye sight? Wouldn't that be considered smart advertising. Things to watch people's eyes? The mods job is to moderate every topic there is in their section. This wouldn't be an issue. I've been a moderator for a big site that with at least 22,000 people online at every given point. Right now there is 0 people online (excluding me). And yes, that forum also had the feature where you could hide yourself.
Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:36 pm
You already kinda lost me with your first statement.

"If GASR makes it a banable/punishment offense people will naturally start to follow along"

You want someone to be punished or even banned for not using a post category?

I think not having symbols indicates that multiple currencies are allowed, no?  Some people accept more than just credits and paypal.  Some accept dA points or in-game currency.  It kind of does its job nicely, when people use it. (That being the key issue here.)

I also don't understand your explanation in the last two paragraphs.  

I used that as an example of wanting a feature changed for a selfish reason. Not everyone has bad eyesight, so why should the default text on the entire forum be 10px or higher, cause like you said, I can change it myself.

Just like you can just open a shop and see what they sell and what currencies they accept?.. Or am I still not getting it.

Last edited by Queen on Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:36 pm
@Pantone wrote:
Wanting to add, @Install -

The idea of multiple categories would be useful for shop searching, from my perspective.
Especially if you can save these "tag queries" to re-run later to see what new shops might have opened.
For example, if there were three categories "Price Point", "Art Type" and "Payment" - you could filter by like-minded shops. Or even
just sort by the "credit" payment option.

If the three categories existed, it would look like (for my shop): "$", "Pixels", "Credits/PayPal"

Yes this addition would be tricky to add in, but I really think it's be beneficial for the customer / vendor base that'd be willing to participate.
It might not be required, but it might be something a great handful could get on board with.

It's also why I only really stick to one person for my avatar art, I have no idea who else does what and for how much.

I don't understand what price point and all that means but if the forum added fixed tags as a requirement. Then we could have what you are saying. (If you don't know what tags is, its another section you get when you create a post where you can tag words that suit your thread)
Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:43 pm
A price point is basically how much you charge.

If you ever see online google reviews, you'll notice dollar signs next to businesses that sell goods with a legend that tells you x dollar signs = y price range.  That's the same concept.

Also adding on to what I said earlier, the main issue with this idea is that you seem to want it more for the reason that you don't like looking through shops, and you want people to get in trouble for inconveniencing you if they don't use categories.

At least that's the vibe I'm getting from your responses. The general idea, including Pantone's idea about tags, are good ideas. The current categories we have seem to cover basically all the types of art that are used on here. (You mentioned Icons and other IMVU related art. That's what the IMVU categories are for.) I just don't see why people should be forced to use a system that is overlooked by so many already or get in trouble.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:53 pm
@Queen wrote:
You already kinda lost me with your first statement.

"If GASR makes it a banable/punishment offense people will naturally start to follow along"

You want someone to be punished or even banned for not using a post category?

After thinking about this if the forum just makes it a requirement to add a topic when you create/edit a topic then the problem is solved. (Just like you can't create a thread without a title, you can't create a thread without a category)

@Queen wrote:
I think not having symbols indicates that multiple currencies are allowed, no?  Some people accept more than just credits and paypal.  Some accept dA points or in-game currency.  It kind of does its job nicely, when people use it. (That being the key issue here.)

Because I've clicked on at least 30-50 topics 2 days ago. I saw one person using dA points in the custom arts section. And one person who used Bitcoin in the requests section. 2 out of the many.

@Queen wrote:
I also don't understand your explanation in the last two paragraphs.  

You said: The forcing of a category also adds another line to the long list of rules art shop owners already have to follow that seems unnecessary.

So I said, the artist is running a business which is for profit. So a long list of rules is suppose to exist. Just like if you were to run a business in real life, there would be a long list. There could be the state and federal law you follow. And then the local councils regulations. Just like on GASR, you follow state and federal law and then follow the local council (aka GASR Forums) regulation.

You said: I don't even glance at the category section when I make a new thread.

Judging from your profile you've been here a long time and seem very active because of your awards and posts. You basically know in your head when a new artist comes along, who the best artist is etc. I don't. I barely use GASR.

You said: Unless we have someone who stays on top of it, forcing the use of the category system and making sure people are doing it right seems like a waste of mod time.

A mod is suppose to moderate topics. And considering GASR is a very tiny forum with a tiny user base compared to other forums, this wouldn't waste a mods time any way. There are only a couple new threads every day and not many keep updating their shop every week because they want to sell a new form of art. I've been a moderator with a huge user base. I can tell you, its not that much time. The category system would probably benefit the artist and customers. It'd make it 10x easier for the customers to find the type of art they are looking for and ensure artists, customers don't glance over their shop by mistake.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:56 pm
@Queen wrote:
At least that's the vibe I'm getting from your responses. The general idea, including Pantone's idea about tags, are good ideas. The current categories we have seem to cover basically all the types of art that are used on here. (You mentioned Icons and other IMVU related art. That's what the IMVU categories are for.) I just don't see why people should be forced to use a system that is overlooked by so many already or get in trouble.

Yes, you are correct. I don't want to look. I spend 30 mins trying to find an artist. I know this is a forum and not ebay or amazon, but they could make it a little easier. The forum I moderated on had the same thing (forum topics for shops). Their system was so organised, and so easy to find what you needed. Unlike GASR, there were at least 100 new shops every day.
Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:06 pm
@Install wrote:

@Queen wrote:

Because I've clicked on at least 30-50 topics 2 days ago. I saw one person using dA points in the custom arts section. And one person who used Bitcoin in the requests section. 2 out of the many.

Just like the person who suggested we ban credits as a currency.  Because one person went to a bunch of shops and saw only PayPal, it must be absolute that hardly anyone uses credits.  You made it about you again.

@Install wrote:

You said: The forcing of a category also adds another line to the long list of rules art shop owners already have to follow that seems unnecessary.

So I said, the artist is running a business which is for profit. So a long list of rules is suppose to exist. Just like if you were to run a business in real life, there would be a long list. There could  be the state and federal law you follow. And then the local councils regulations. Just like on GASR, you follow state and federal law and then follow the local council (aka GASR Forums) regulation.

You said: I don't even glance at the category section when I make a new thread.

Judging from your profile you've been here a long time and seem very active because of your awards and posts. You basically know in your head when a new artist comes along, who the best artist is etc. I don't. I barely use GASR.

First Part: No.  You must have misread what I said.  

Second Part: That was my own personal experience with categories, not to be used as a collective for how everyone else is, even though most people still don't use categories.  I've been here since the beginning, yes, but I couldn't name 5 artists if my life depended on it tbh.  Like I said, no absolutes.

@Install wrote:

You said: Unless we have someone who stays on top of it, forcing the use of the category system and making sure people are doing it right seems like a waste of mod time.

A mod is suppose to moderate topics. And considering GASR is a very tiny forum with a tiny user base compared to other forums, this wouldn't waste a mods time any way. There are only a couple new threads every day and not many keep updating their shop every week because they want to sell a new form of art. I've been a moderator with a huge user base. I can tell you, its not that much time. The category system would probably benefit the artist and customers. It'd make it 10x easier for the customers to find the type of art they are looking for and ensure artists, customers don't glance over their shop by mistake.

This is basically 2+2=Fish.  Your experience there doesn't mean it'll match the experience here.  I'm also kind of giggling at how you assume the mods here do fuck all and have all this time on their hands when you've never been a mod here, but back to the whole thing about experience doesn't mean much.

I think this is all getting kind of confusing though.  I'm purely stating my objective opinion on the matter.  I like this idea, and the idea about the tags, I just don't think it's possible, and that the amount of work required if it were possible wouldn't be worth the finished product.  Judging by your poll, most people just want the option for multiple categories, anyway.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:03 am
@Queen wrote:

I'ts kind like how I wish there was a rule that nobody could use a font size less than 10px to cater to those with shitty eyesight, but who am I to argue with a generic aesthetic a lot of people have, y'know?  

Truth. I'm guilty of using tiny fonts but my eyesight is garbage. It's even worse with tiny font and a bright color like yellow or pastel pink. I end up just copying and pasting things into microsoft word to read it LOL. 

(sorry for the off topic)
Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:04 pm
This is a cool idea. I personally think that sections would make it easier for people to go through stuff. Like to have shops placed into categories or perhaps we could make "tags" a thing. So shops that fit more than one category could be tagged into equivalent thread. Idk if this is a thing? But it'd be cool and make browsing for people looking for a specific category easy to find. Also it could make it easier for artists to find appropriate customer base. Eg. "anime/realism/semi-realism/gothic.. etc." I think it'd be worth to look into.

As for the paypal/credits thing I believe there could be a possibility to perhaps separate the customs/premades sections into 3 categories couldn't it? Credits, Paypal, Credits and Paypal. I've often had customers ask me if I took credits despite me having the appropriate icon and it was clearly listed in my payment details.

+ also we indeed have a lot of shop mods, so if the shop is misplaced instead of banning or etc I do think they could move the shop to the correct location. Its a bit much to punish them for forgetting or not noticing it's in the wrong location.