| Fri 16 Sep - 17:51|
HOW TO TAKE DOWN STOLEN ART / HOW TO FILE A DMCA
This guide will explain how to take down stolen art, may it be on IMVU or GASR. ( Art that originally belongs to a paid customer, but was taken / is being used by another user without permission of the original artist or customer. )
For those who don't know, the DMCA ( Digital Millennium Copyright Act ) protects intellectual property, in this case artwork, from art theft / copyright infringement, including on websites like IMVU. (GASR staff takes care of it themselves.) Down below you will see what to do when you see art theft on either GASR or IMVU.
1. GASR is not affiliated with IMVU. The only reason we're including how to report art theft on IMVU is because majority of the art made on GASR gets used on IMVU.
2. This thread was not made to report art theft. Please report all art theft as you normally would, through PM to either art theft mods or other appropriate staff. (Click here for the staff list.)
1. What to do when you see stolen art on GASR.
2. What to do when you see stolen art on IMVU.
3. How to file a DMCA takedown.
4.DMCA form example.
special thanks to: Queen for corrections. Mar and Mattie for reviewing.
Last edited by Capsule on Thu 29 Sep - 11:47; edited 20 times in total
| Fri 16 Sep - 17:53|
|WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU SEE STOLEN ART ON GASR:|
1. Private message any of the staff with any and all proof, preferably the art theft moderators. (Click for Staff List)
2. Contacted staff will look into the situation and may ask for more information if necessary.
3. If it is indeed art theft, they will act accordingly based on the rules that have been broken. ( Click here to see the consequences. )
Moderators from GASR are able to ban users and take down certain things if it's related to GASR only. We have no control over theft that happens on IMVU as moderators/administrators from GASR, or any other site for that matter.
WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU SEE STOLEN ART ON IMVU:
If you are not the owner of the art piece:
- Inform the original artist about the stolen art.
- If you don't know who the original artist is, inform the owner of the artwork (the customer who originally paid for the art).
If you are the owner of the art piece:
- Inform the original artist about the stolen artwork.
If you are the original artist of the art piece:
- Fill out a DMCA takedown form and send it via email to IMVU's DMCA agents.
It should be taken down within a week if the form was filled out properly. They may ask you for further information if necessary.
The best way is for the original artist to file the DMCA in order to take down the art that was stolen from their customers. Customers can file the DMCA as well, but it usually requires permission from the original owner and extensive information/proof. If they are not satisfied with the information they've received, they will deny the takedown.
Last edited by Capsule on Sun 18 Sep - 11:36; edited 7 times in total
| Sun 18 Sep - 10:12|
|HOW TO FILE THE DMCA:|
1. Fill out the DMCA takedown form with any and ALL information that you can provide. (Especially proof.)
2. Email it to IMVU's DMCA agents. (email@example.com)
3. If it has been filled out properly, you will receive an email saying that they've taken down the items / art.
4. If it has not been filled out properly, you will receive an email with them explaining what you need to change / add.
THE DMCA AGENTS EMAIL:
This is a simplified version(dp theft version) of the original version IMVU gives, which is usually for products. If you've filled it out properly, it should still be sufficient. There will be certain sections that are optional to send it, but the more proof the better.
Here's the original IMVU version: http://imvu.com/catalog/info/takedownnoticehtm.htm
- Click to open the form:
Last edited by Capsule on Sun 18 Sep - 11:37; edited 3 times in total
| Sun 18 Sep - 10:13|
|FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ):|
If you have any questions regarding this guide or the DMCA process, feel free to ask questions in the thread or privately message me.
All questions answered will be put here so others can see it.