Gasrforum
HomeLandingContactStaffMemberlistSend creditsRegisterLog in

GASR News

Winter Scavenger Hunt
Dec 5, 2016 #event

Our winter scavenger is out! Click here to join the hunt. This event runs from Dec 6-20.

Xmas Charity Volunteers
Nov 28, 2016 #event

It's almost time for our annual GASR Xmas Charity Event, and we are in need of volunteers who would be willing to make artwork for GASR's donors. If you are interested, please click here to sign up. The deadline to become a volunteer is Dec 10.

GASR Secret Santa
Nov 14, 2016 #event

It's time for GASR's annual holiday event: the Secret Santa gift exchange! Get your hot cocoa to marshmallow ratio perfect and your mistletoe hung up because it's time to get those art gifts wrapped and under the tree for a happy holiday surprise. Click here to join the fun, and make sure to sign up before the 25th of November!

Halloween Scavenger Hunt
Oct 29, 2016 #event

It's about to get spooky with the Halloween scavenger hunt! Put on your masks, makeup, and your witch hats because everyone can join! Young, old, artist, non-artist, passer-by, moose, potatoes, or any living or my favorite… non-living may join. Click here to join the fun. This event lasts from Oct 31st - Nov 14th. Check out the cool prizes!

Artist of the Moment

TOUHOU

Visit my shop View my bio

I'm a self taught artist/editor and was once an Instagram blogger but now I spend most of my times on IMVU doing DP art and maintaining a steady # of orders from various amazing people! One of my best accomplishments was winning 1st place locally in a Japanese Quiz Bowl in my state and won a chance to compete nationally against other states in Washington D.C. and so here I am still embracing my studies in Japanese although sometimes people think I look or am Japanese because I'm Asian haha. My favorite things are Anime, Utaite, Vocaloid, KPop, Fashion (especially Minimalism and Harajuku), Video Games, and Aesthetic Art :)

Online Staff

Staff Status Updates

STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS

Statistics

We have 24643 registered users
The newest registered user is SinfullyBeats

Our users have posted a total of 1504018 messages in 29106 subjects

GASR Time

Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:30 am
So I've been on hiatus for quite awhile,
my laptop died awhile back and now I'm
looking into a new computer, preferably a desktop.

I was hoping for some ideas on what to get for
graphic art and games. I don't have a whole lot of
money to use so even if I need to get an external
hard drive and have the computer run Photoshop,
I just have no clue where to start and since
ik alot of people here use art programs and games
it might be the best place to start.
Thanks for any amount of help and suggestions~

Last edited by Incantatrix on Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:29 am; edited 2 times in total
Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:58 am
Gonna move this to the help section.

Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:21 am
Thank you~ sorry it's been awhile.
Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:14 pm
@INCANTATRIX

Okay so I need a little bit more information before I can recommend something within what seems a small budget.

You don't really need much of a computer to run art programs. As long as you have at least 8gb of ram and a dedicated graphics card, which most desktops and laptops come with by default anyway, you're good.

The games though. The games you're wanting to play are what may or may not increase the price significantly.

What games do you plan on playing?
Do you want to be able to run everything on max/ultra settings?
Are you going to buy a premade computer or build a custom one yourself/get it built for you?
Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:46 am
Well initially my plan was to be able to play something like the sims
But I also used to play league and that killed a graphics card on me before.
Besides that I was HOPING for a premade computer.
Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:21 am
Alright.  Those games don't require a beefy computer so you might be saved price wise.  What is your budget?

A premade computer with a decent dedicated graphics card will run about $500-700.  If you're okay with an integrated card, it'll be a little cheaper.  ($400+)

Integrated cards are usually built in to your PC and made for multi-tasking programs. Dedicated cards are what you aim for when gaming, because they come with their own memory and keep your PC memory freed up, but like I said, you don't play anything that requires the extra beef, so you could probably get away with an integrated card.
Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:11 pm
Thats so helpful thank you!
I haven't really worked out a budget yet since
I've had no idea what to start looking for.
I've basically been looking for anything under 1k since this
Is coming out of my college fund. (It's going to be primarily for school)
But I wanted to keep it alot less then that. I'll start looking
For something with those specs~
Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:16 pm
@INCANTATRIX

I'm not home, but I did a search and found some nice desktops that I can link later for you to look at.  

Do you live in the US?  If so, I can expand my search.  I stuck to Amazon because I wasn't sure if other websites shipped worldwide that are computer focused.  

Will you also need a monitor as well?
Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:37 am
Ya I'm in the US, and I shouldn't need a monitor,
I have plenty of those lol it's just the computer portion.
And I really need to stop being surprised about things Amazon sells.
I didn't even think to look there.
Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:38 pm
@INCANTATRIX;  Okay so after doing a lot of research, I found this PC.

Click

It's split down the middle, meaning it should last you for a long time as is, but if you ever wanted to get into any bigger games, you can easily add an updated dedicated graphics card later on.  (Plenty of youtube videos show you how, so don't fret.  5/10 difficulty level for plebs.)

I looked through the reviews and users who have purchased this have said they use a heavily modded Sims 3 game and it runs smoothly without a hiccup.  Considering Sims 4 doesn't need as much beef as Sims 3, I'm hoping this is perfect for you.

League of Legends doesn't take much either.  I used to play that on my potato from 2009.  Hell, I even double checked the specs and the recommended graphics card is outdated and no longer sold, so you're golden.
Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:15 am
I'm going to seriously look into that, thank you so much for all the help~
If i have any more questions or anything would you mind if I PM'd you?
Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:43 pm
Not at all!

Today at 12:12 pm
Page 1 of 1