Gasrforum
HomeLandingContactStaffMemberlistSend creditsRegisterLog in

GASR News

Winter Scavenger Hunt
Dec 5, 2016 #event

Our winter scavenger is out! Click here to join the hunt. This event runs from Dec 6-20.

Xmas Charity Volunteers
Nov 28, 2016 #event

It's almost time for our annual GASR Xmas Charity Event, and we are in need of volunteers who would be willing to make artwork for GASR's donors. If you are interested, please click here to sign up. The deadline to become a volunteer is Dec 10.

GASR Secret Santa
Nov 14, 2016 #event

It's time for GASR's annual holiday event: the Secret Santa gift exchange! Get your hot cocoa to marshmallow ratio perfect and your mistletoe hung up because it's time to get those art gifts wrapped and under the tree for a happy holiday surprise. Click here to join the fun, and make sure to sign up before the 25th of November!

Halloween Scavenger Hunt
Oct 29, 2016 #event

It's about to get spooky with the Halloween scavenger hunt! Put on your masks, makeup, and your witch hats because everyone can join! Young, old, artist, non-artist, passer-by, moose, potatoes, or any living or my favorite… non-living may join. Click here to join the fun. This event lasts from Oct 31st - Nov 14th. Check out the cool prizes!

Artist of the Moment

TOUHOU

Visit my shop View my bio

I'm a self taught artist/editor and was once an Instagram blogger but now I spend most of my times on IMVU doing DP art and maintaining a steady # of orders from various amazing people! One of my best accomplishments was winning 1st place locally in a Japanese Quiz Bowl in my state and won a chance to compete nationally against other states in Washington D.C. and so here I am still embracing my studies in Japanese although sometimes people think I look or am Japanese because I'm Asian haha. My favorite things are Anime, Utaite, Vocaloid, KPop, Fashion (especially Minimalism and Harajuku), Video Games, and Aesthetic Art :)

Online Staff

Staff Status Updates

STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS

Statistics

We have 24663 registered users
The newest registered user is HelloViicky

Our users have posted a total of 1504848 messages in 29121 subjects

GASR Time

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Which would you rather
Remove the entire OT
26%
 26% [ 21 ]
Keep the OT but refocus it on art only
74%
 74% [ 60 ]
Total Votes : 81

Wed 13 Jul 2016 - 19:15
i have mixed feelings about this tbh, while i do think that it's a good idea to get rid of this due to the fact that people don't listen when given warnings. but in some cases the OT threads can be a fun way to me people?? like ofc there are other ways to do that. idk i just think it's really lame that the drama incidents have cause it to come to this point
Wed 13 Jul 2016 - 22:21
The OT thread should prob be left and just be focused around Art things.

Cause I can prob agree now a OT mod won't stop arguments or drama going down in there. sketch
Wed 13 Jul 2016 - 22:23
After reading through everything and seeing both sides pretty much I'm with tearing the thread down and having only art related ones like wip, latest creation, etc.
Cartoono pointed out how artists were leaving because people were more focused on OT section and how c/p thread was turned into a crapfest. These were some of the reasons that had me debating on whether to leave GASR or not because we haven't gotten many people interested in commissioning artists on here or at least supporting more of us. Instead it's been more people here in OT starting drama in any thread that'll pretty much allow them to get things all negative and heated up before it's locked and then tumbleweed bumps in a crapton of shops.

Every time I tried posting in an OT thread there would be drama going so I wouldn't post or people couldn't try to chat about something else since another conversation was drowning out their post. If you wanna chat then skype like that's why we got a skype thread you guys. You wanna chat, then go skype jesus.
Game threads, I'm ok without, I'll post about it through a journal on da, or on fb lolol. If someone wants my friendcode for 3ds or PS4 username then pm me, there are loads of ways to get ahold of me lol I'm not resorting to discord, it's going to be the same as the ot4ot so won't resort to that to roll around in chaotic chitchat.
Fri 15 Jul 2016 - 21:19
I feel that getting rid of the entire OT section won't solve the issues of arguments etc. People will move to other areas of the forum like PM, possibly even going to shops and so on. People are always bound to find reasons to argue, and disagree no matter where on the forum it is.

Like other people have suggested, it's best if we narrow the threads down or merge them together and become stricter on rules. Maybe more OT mods? For the most part people do just want to use the threads as they are meant to be used, there are just some topics that come up that will incite arguments or a few people who don't want to play by the rules, and look for the drama. I think instead of getting rid of the OT forum entirely, or making it PURELY about art won't help, we need to make it either less cluttered/smaller or focus on the few people/topics that do cause the problems.
Sat 16 Jul 2016 - 21:07
Quote :
People will move to other areas of the forum like PM

That's what needs to happen though?  Like, the main issue here is that people are going from having a disagreement about something to straight up attacking the other person personally instead of sticking to the initial disagreement, and that's when the drama escalates to a whole new level.  Because it's happening in public, others will come in and like a person's post/reply to them, which encourages people to continue.  If no one is there to watch the show, most people won't even bother to write a PM in the first place.

I'm not saying you can just go PM somebody and tell them to go fuck themselves without consequences if the user and the mods feel like you've crossed the line between having an argument and harassing the user, but I seriously doubt people are going to go into someone's art shop just to start an argument about things that have been escalating in the OT.

Also, Alexia already pointed out that no one here would really be qualified to mod the OT because everyone belongs to a group/clique whether they acknowledge it or not, which would almost guarantee bias of some form.  

The problem here is that non-art related threads are causing issues, the current mods were not brought on to have to spend 90% of their time dealing with those issues, and that nearly all of those issues would be prevented if non-art related threads were removed, keeping this forum for its intended purpose, being an art forum.

Instead of trying to stick a band-aid on the wound, it would be better to just stitch it up already.  Like many have said, this will only negatively affect those who aren't here for art, and I don't see that as a bad thing?  I mean, I've said the phrase art forum several times in this post alone, lol.
Tue 19 Jul 2016 - 13:32
i tend not to post in areas like this and try to keep myself in more so the custom art shops and occasional ot for sims or pics of your pet, but i felt like commenting on this

as someone who sometimes ventures into the ot section, it's kind of intimidating? i hear about the drama between members there and therefore seclude myself to topics i personally find comfortable like pics of your pet, although then this would bring up the point, no ones forcing me to post there, which is true butttt....

due to the mention of drama in the off topic area, it puts me off posting in areas such as shops and especially the chat. hearing about members and the way they act towards each other makes me have this preconceived idea that therefore the people in the shops or chat might represent that kind of behaviour and kind of puts me off and therefore the community in general? i don't want to have this biased opinion of the community because i honestly love gasr. therefore i think removing a large part of the ot and keeping it art related focuses more hate/drama to private msgs, which helps not spread drama to other members and maybe easier to moderators to handle without it spreading through the community?
im no expert to gasr, nor have i been on for a long time, so i'm sorry if i seem super ignorant or stupid in this post, i just feel like removing the ot or keeping it art related only is a good choice, because instead of public drama which puts me off the gasr community in general, it would be private/pm, so people don't hear about it, it's easier to be solved and it doesn't make the gasr community seem increasingly toxic?

Sat 30 Jul 2016 - 14:34
It wouldnt even be an OFF TOPIC if its only to discuss art. Its called off topic for a damn reason, to discuss other things that may not pertain to art. Sure we could keep it, but I dont think it will be very active and the site could potentially lose traffic. There should really be a third vote to hire OFF TOPIC Moderators, if you guys are really having a problem with keeping the peace.
Sun 31 Jul 2016 - 13:50
I think "...it's easier to be solved and it doesn't make the gasr community seem increasingly toxic" should be altered to "...it's easier to be solved and it will silence the (rising level of) toxicity in gasrforum's community." We shouldn't want things to just seem okay. ;x;
but, yeah. turning the OT into an art dump/art related area would require the least amount of work and would silence people causing issues. : )
will it solve the problems? on the surface, yes. will it cause some problems? maybe?
It will suck to not have an open area in the forum to discuss non-art related things with artists/non-artists/customers/people, though, but
I can't think of anything else :< (apart from appointing mods + stricter rules in that section, but I do see how that might be troublesome if no-one feels a need to babysit moderate).
I think I will stick with making it into an art dump/art related area - the AT. minimum in-shop conversation + PM + gasrforum's chat thing will have to suffice for actual conversation onsite.
Mon 1 Aug 2016 - 4:10
@Daddy wrote:
the site could potentially lose traffic.

Yes, lose people who aren't here for anything related to art, because again, this is an art forum.  

Are you guys not understanding the fact that staff doesn't HAVE to provide an OT section?  It was added as a luxury, not a necessity.  Also, Off Topic is a name, a name that can easily be changed to Miscellany or whatever else they prefer.  That can't even be used as an argument.

Again, to those who just continue to insist we get OT mods:

@Alexia wrote:
Unfortunately finding OT mods who are unbiased and part of absolutely no group at all who in addition to this is willing to sweep through people's arguments and the like is just. Impossible. And I want to underline the unbiased / part of no group part. A lot of you might not remember but we have had OT mods before and tldr we had to close the OT because things got out of hand quick. (On that note, yes gasr has removed the OT before, this wouldnt be the first time).

HOWEVER lets say we were to get new OT mods. I think theres a misconception over how staff works - mods have their focused  areas such as auction, art shop, etc, however we tend to consult each other and come to a general agreement before taking action on things. Adding OT mods isnt going to give us more time to spend elsewhere or going to "move" the problem down to others as we will still be consulting each other for it.
Mon 1 Aug 2016 - 5:40
tbh adding an OT mod is really pointless too
the mods are there to deal with art related problems first and foremost
getting an OT mod, not only is the process annoyingly painful cause lets be real a lot of people on gasr arent even close to being qualified to be mods,
it's also super unnecessary.
whats the point in getting a mod in the name of a subject thats not even art related

bruh.
keep it art related, i vote.
Mon 1 Aug 2016 - 5:50
It's pointless trying to have another OT mod. I 100% agree it'll be best to keep it art related for the most part, fun having activities to do there and to compliment each other and if you wanna talk more pm or skype like seriously.
People will still argue or bring it back up later even after getting warned and then be banned from the OT and either other negative nancys will come in to replace them and/or the OT will die after that since they were probably the majority chatting there during the calm and during the giant arguments that would spread through several different threads.
Tue 2 Aug 2016 - 0:17
Everyone is just making suggestions, let's try to keep this nice.

--

Art relative OT forum would be good.

Tue 2 Aug 2016 - 1:00
Sorry if I came off snappish, wasn't meaning too ; -; I just really see no point in an Ot especially if people think the OT is more important than focusing on the actual forums reason, art.
Tue 2 Aug 2016 - 2:16
^
Tue 2 Aug 2016 - 3:01
you're not being snappy at all rosie @scribbles
tbh im just glad that with the disappearance of some threads some of the worst people are... basically gone LMAO.

we're already seeing change, its a blessing
Today at 19:13
Page 5 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next