Gasrforum
HomeLandingContactStaffMemberlistSend creditsRegisterLog in

GASR News

Winter Scavenger Hunt
Dec 5, 2016 #event

Our winter scavenger is out! Click here to join the hunt. This event runs from Dec 6-20.

Xmas Charity Volunteers
Nov 28, 2016 #event

It's almost time for our annual GASR Xmas Charity Event, and we are in need of volunteers who would be willing to make artwork for GASR's donors. If you are interested, please click here to sign up. The deadline to become a volunteer is Dec 10.

GASR Secret Santa
Nov 14, 2016 #event

It's time for GASR's annual holiday event: the Secret Santa gift exchange! Get your hot cocoa to marshmallow ratio perfect and your mistletoe hung up because it's time to get those art gifts wrapped and under the tree for a happy holiday surprise. Click here to join the fun, and make sure to sign up before the 25th of November!

Halloween Scavenger Hunt
Oct 29, 2016 #event

It's about to get spooky with the Halloween scavenger hunt! Put on your masks, makeup, and your witch hats because everyone can join! Young, old, artist, non-artist, passer-by, moose, potatoes, or any living or my favorite… non-living may join. Click here to join the fun. This event lasts from Oct 31st - Nov 14th. Check out the cool prizes!

Artist of the Moment

TOUHOU

Visit my shop View my bio

I'm a self taught artist/editor and was once an Instagram blogger but now I spend most of my times on IMVU doing DP art and maintaining a steady # of orders from various amazing people! One of my best accomplishments was winning 1st place locally in a Japanese Quiz Bowl in my state and won a chance to compete nationally against other states in Washington D.C. and so here I am still embracing my studies in Japanese although sometimes people think I look or am Japanese because I'm Asian haha. My favorite things are Anime, Utaite, Vocaloid, KPop, Fashion (especially Minimalism and Harajuku), Video Games, and Aesthetic Art :)

Online Staff

Staff Status Updates

STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS

Statistics

We have 24660 registered users
The newest registered user is LGdsKivaaraKurosaki

Our users have posted a total of 1504698 messages in 29121 subjects

GASR Time

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Which would you rather
Remove the entire OT
26%
 26% [ 21 ]
Keep the OT but refocus it on art only
74%
 74% [ 60 ]
Total Votes : 81

Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:22 am
I'd like to firstly point out that I don't think either options are good ideas (so I won't vote in the poll). This is because;

- this won't stop arguments. People can still be bullies via pm, shops, etc.
- removing all type of discussion on gasr makes it very limiting. It makes me sad that people have no where to chat via forum if all non art related posts are removed.
- Without any free discussion threads, people's shops may become spammed with chat posts since people won't be able to post this else where.

Personally, I agree with getting a mod for OT. Someone to moderator the non art discussion threads. Now obviously we should all be adults here and not need baby sitting but since it has come to this, this is the only conclusion that makes sense to me.  Somebody that can make sure OT is safe & friendly for all members. We could also have off limit discussion topics (now I personally don't agree with this but it could help with arguments not starting). Things such as:

- tragic events
- deaths
- personal opinions on religion/sex/gender that could be perceived as negative to gasr as a whole.

Also, lets say an argument starts (a very heated one like the last one). Maybe put a notice up. State that the argument must continue/end in pm. Lock thread for an hour or so to let people cool down then unlock the thread. Any continuation of said topic would lead to a warning/bar removed?

idk, maybe im rambling but we need somewhere on gasr to chat other than the chatroom :/
Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:24 am
@tay agree 100%
Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:30 am
@Noxi - that would be upsetting .-. some of the threads I've stalked seemed really fun
@tay - i think bullying and arguments can move to IMVU (if your have an IMVU account, that is) or some place other than GASR. I totally agree with what you said too edit:i think there's a chatroom on imvu for gasr, if i remember correctly, but maybe there can be another place for everyone to chat without going on imvu? I know gasr has a little chat box above, but not sure o-o
Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:51 am
@TAY I also agree. I wont vote to this poll.
OT shouldnt get removed neither change into an art related place.
The forum needs to support the OT section not deleting or refocusing it. The community needs to communicate.. art connects us all no doubt but we are here also to socialize, chat etc etc. We all have interests and opinions that we want to share and we can do that only through OT.
Mods for this forum section is probably the best solution. They will be able to warn people in time if things are going too far, by asking them to stop-locking threads-remove bars.
Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:02 am
I don't post in the OT sub-forum as much as some people do, but I still see the value in it so I'll post. warning - long post ahead. future lawyer here that needs to work on "less is more."   flower

the poll should include a third option - "neither (post your suggestions below)" because I can't vote right now. : (

Remove the OT entirely
- pros:
no drama in that section of the forum because that section no longer exists
- cons:
no outlet for users to post in
will make people that are only here to buy art and make friends  feel unwanted

Keep the OT but refocus it on art only
- pros:
art
- cons:
will make people that are only here to buy art and make friends feel unwanted
you would have to make rules stating you could only post if you're posting art so no conversation happens that might lead to an argument (as people might search for any way to bring drama if all the other threads are gone)

The intro on the log-in page of the forum states this as what GASR is:
"The "GASR" forum (Graphic Arts Services and Requests) is the largest art forum on Forumotion. It began as a substitute for the IMVU art forum and has since become a thriving community of its own. Today, the GASR forum is open to anyone to join. Whether you want to sell artwork, buy artwork, make new friends, or wish to improve your skills with our tutorial section, the GASR forum has something to offer everyone!"

@the part I underlined.
Getting rid of the OT or making it into a place to post art (which no longer would be an OT sub-forum as art is on topic to the forum in entirety) would pretty much make GASRforum seem very.. lacking? As if there was no place to talk to people on the forum without it being art related. I mean, you could still technically make friends without the sub-forum, but something about being able to talk openly with people just seems more convenient. Sometimes I feel like non-artist people tend to get forgotten even though they are necessary to an artist as they are the people buying art (most of the time. artists do buy from artists, too). Making them feel unwanted and/or not important might make them leave the forum = less buyers/advertising for artists = more people complaining about how poor GASRforum's economy is and/or less artists able to earn enough money for xyz reason(s) = migration.
^ that probably will not happen in large amounts because 20,000+ members, but ehhhh. I feel like there are only a certain amount of members actively posting so it might be noticeable if it happens?  
It'd go from being a community to more like a big art dump forum. Like a tumblr with no reblog.

Anyway, tl;dr.
Mod positions were opened up due to people wanting to spread out the responsibility of handling art theft so the same can be done here. all you need is one visibly active person really - two maximum if you want a safety cushion for when the other person happens to be busy or something.

@tay: agreed, even though it sucks that people have to be silenced on issues that are important just because it can spark drama. sometimes people cannot express their feelings irl because they'd end up in jail or even dead so this is an outlet for them. ;x; last time I checked IMVU's forums, I saw people speak of a cool down method to keep spammers/scammers from posting so much. it'd be pretty neat if there was a way to put an account and/or thread on cool down.
[an argument starts]
- heats up
- mod posts a reminder to chill
- people still post because heat
- people posting get sent a "ay your account is being put on cool down for __ minutes because you need to take a break. use this time to calm down" (basically banning the account from the OT sub-forum, or the forum as a whole, for a while with no bar docked) or the thread itself is put on cool down (basically locked) to let people at least calm down enough to be able to post again
I like the first option more just because locking a thread doesn't seem to have lasting effects. maybe having certain subjects banned will help with that, but maybe not.
and maybe making it so that if your account has to be put on cool down for 2-3 times, then you will have a bar docked or something because clearly you either
a) are really passionate about what you believe in (which is okay if your beliefs are not trash, but not okay because drama?)
or
b) thrive off of starting drama. ew. go outside

Last edited by Kia on Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:07 am
@Kia & @tay

You guys both said what I meant but ALOT better lol
Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:10 am
-Basically we already got a second off-topic section for GASR that's easier for us to moderate and look over (and to kick people out / ban ). Which is discord, you can still discuss things about games / movies there. It's easier to share  gifs / youtube vids / songs / images. There are also different channels like the ot4ot, looking-for-tunes, tips and tricks, and many more to add if there are suggestions.
It's also available on phone and easy to use.
So all in all the off-topic wont dissapear completely, just the GASR forum will be more art related since that's what the forum was made for, and on the GASR discord it'll be art / off-topic related and whatever else people suggest.
Many people probably missed it, but here's the thread link for the discord: http://www.gasrforum.com/t40060-discord-come-chat-with-us

And don't worry we've read most of what you guys said by now, most of the things you guys mentioned we've discussed as a staff together too, but in the end we came to these two options.

I had a lot more to say but it escaped me for now, just wanted to let you know about the discord atleast. So don't worry we still have a place where everyone can share off-topic related things and make conversations + get to know eachother.
It's basically a second gasr but more for fun off-topic things* i suppose.
Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:17 am
@Capsule 1. I love you hun, so this is nothing personal. I swear.

But that's a load of crap. There is no way Im going to download anything onto my phone. And if I wanted to talk to people outside of the art community about stuff, like some of the topics posted in the OT section, then i would just go on facebook, reddit, basically any were else. And I have seen that section before, when i first joined actually. IDK I came on here for the art, but mainly stayed for the friends Ive made. If I have to move to another site I might as well leave GASR all together.

Just saying.
Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:23 am
@Noxi wrote:
@Capsule 1. I love you hun, so this is nothing personal. I swear.

But that's a load of crap. There is no way Im going to download anything onto my phone. And if I wanted to talk to people outside of the art community about stuff, like some of the topics posted in the OT  section, then i would just go on facebook, reddit, basically any were else. And I have seen that section before, when i first joined actually. IDK I came on here for the art, but mainly stayed for the friends Ive made. If I have to move to another site I might as well leave GASR all together.

Just saying.

It's okay nilady, don't worry about it. Forgot to mention but we also still have the chat box up, that one wont go away. Also the discord can be used on your browser too, the reason i mentioned you can use it on your phone was because it just works surprisingly well for phones as well as on pc.

I also understand that this is quite a drastic change for those who came here and got used to having an off-topic section since they first joined. Also understand that discord wont be the same as the current off-topic or will ever be the same.

It's just really complicated but we don't enjoy taking stuff down either, but we also don't enjoy watching over a certain spot while other people need our help more with serious matters. We also already considered having someone to look after the OT, but in general we already need more active mods. (which we're going to work on as well)
Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:33 am
I can't bundle up my emotions into a sentence but I don't agree with this at all. Like I'm sorry but I also don't wanna download/go off site to chat to people on gasr. This is a horrible idea and will impact gasr so negatively. I couldn't figure out why I've felt so odd/put off when on gasr and that's because there's no openness / people chatting / seeing random gifs. I'm annoyed 

*sorry don't feel like being professional right now. I just ugh idk. I need to cool down lol
Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:34 am
@Tay If it helps, you don't have to download Discord. It can be used in the browser, which is very helpful.
Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:44 am
that sounds like a very IMVUesque solution. GASRforum was made open to the public because IMVU basically said "we can't handle this. please leave," so K8, Tino, Alexu, 'Tasia, and company decided to open the forum up to other people that still wanted art (IMVU related or not, but mostly IMVU related) after GASR closed on IMVU. I know I initially joined because most of my friends were made in IMVU's forums at that time and I also wanted to continue getting art while maybe practicing art of my own.
Instead of simply handling the art-related problems on IMVU, staff pushed people out resulting in a new place off-site being created and then opened to the public.
That's kinda what discord sounds like.
Instead of appointing a mod or two just for the OT, people are being told to go off-site just to have a conversation. eh. not bagging on the idea of discord as a whole because it still can be useful as an accessory. I just don't see why it should be the main source of OT related things. GASRforum boasts of having a large amount of members so it shouldn't be hard to pick 1/2 people to handle all OT problems... I don't know. We have mods for the auction sub-forum and it's pretty dead so maybe those mods could also be the main OT handlers if they want that task. I already see Krist posting a lot for OT issues. :D I still think it is better to appoint new people for the spots, but this is an option if you don't want to deal with applications.
+ I know we had mods specifically for the OT a while ago that led to problems because of who was chosen and stuff, but I don't think that should discourage that being a possibility now. we just have to pick better.  
Edit because I saw Capsule's post:
I do see that you guys notice the lack of active mods so maybe a section for OT mods can be added to the list of positions to apply for because I assume it's about time for that.
This is probably why you guys feel so "ehh" about the OT because you're not working with a full staff. that sucks. ;x;
maybe include more questions about activeness in the application like
"are you or will you be in school soon? / do you have a job? part-time/seasonal/full-time/freelance? and etcetera"
Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:46 am
i feel like OT moderators would be the best compromise with the community.
it would help keep things on track without making any major changes to the forums base.

many people rely on threads such as the feelings thread to vent and get things out in a healthy way. it wouldn't make sense to change that part of the forum when there are so many struggling artists who need to let it out in some way.

and that doesn't go for just the feelings thread, we as a community like to feel connected and i feel as though the off topic portion of the forum is the finishing bow on the community, a lot of us probably wouldn't be as able to approach and bond with another user if these threads didn't break that ice for us.
Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:04 am
@Kia wrote:
that sounds like a very IMVUesque solution. GASRforum was made open to the public because IMVU basically said "we can't handle this. please leave," so K8, Tino, Alexu, 'Tasia, and company decided to open the forum up to other people that still wanted art (IMVU related or not, but mostly IMVU related) after GASR closed on IMVU. I know I initially joined because most of my friends were made in IMVU's forums at that time and I also wanted to continue getting art while maybe practicing art of my own.
Instead of simply handling the art-related problems on IMVU, staff pushed people out resulting in a new place off-site being created and then opened to the public.
That's kinda what discord sounds like.

Reposting cuz this is exactly what this feels like.
Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:05 am
I really dont get the discord idea.. You still want a place for people to discuss non art related things but not actually inside the forum? Further more how exactly you find this poll completely democratic when it doesnt have the option 'I dont agree with the solutions given above' ?.... OR why there is nowhere something like 'Suggest us a different solution regarding to the matter etc.' Sadly it seems like you just wanted to 'inform' people and not actually ask for their opinion.

Anyways, i completely agree with everybody so far regarding to OT.
The community likes to feel connected and thats happening through the off topic section. Nobody will join other sites just to chat when our forum can contain everything from art related to non art related sections... it makes sense. As Kia mentioned the forum needs more active mods also.
Today at 6:11 pm
Page 2 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next