Gasrforum
HomeLandingContactStaffMemberlistSend creditsRegisterLog in

GASR News

Winter Scavenger Hunt
Dec 5, 2016 #event

Our winter scavenger is out! Click here to join the hunt. This event runs from Dec 6-20.

Xmas Charity Volunteers
Nov 28, 2016 #event

It's almost time for our annual GASR Xmas Charity Event, and we are in need of volunteers who would be willing to make artwork for GASR's donors. If you are interested, please click here to sign up. The deadline to become a volunteer is Dec 10.

GASR Secret Santa
Nov 14, 2016 #event

It's time for GASR's annual holiday event: the Secret Santa gift exchange! Get your hot cocoa to marshmallow ratio perfect and your mistletoe hung up because it's time to get those art gifts wrapped and under the tree for a happy holiday surprise. Click here to join the fun, and make sure to sign up before the 25th of November!

Halloween Scavenger Hunt
Oct 29, 2016 #event

It's about to get spooky with the Halloween scavenger hunt! Put on your masks, makeup, and your witch hats because everyone can join! Young, old, artist, non-artist, passer-by, moose, potatoes, or any living or my favorite… non-living may join. Click here to join the fun. This event lasts from Oct 31st - Nov 14th. Check out the cool prizes!

Artist of the Moment

TOUHOU

Visit my shop View my bio

I'm a self taught artist/editor and was once an Instagram blogger but now I spend most of my times on IMVU doing DP art and maintaining a steady # of orders from various amazing people! One of my best accomplishments was winning 1st place locally in a Japanese Quiz Bowl in my state and won a chance to compete nationally against other states in Washington D.C. and so here I am still embracing my studies in Japanese although sometimes people think I look or am Japanese because I'm Asian haha. My favorite things are Anime, Utaite, Vocaloid, KPop, Fashion (especially Minimalism and Harajuku), Video Games, and Aesthetic Art :)

Online Staff

Staff Status Updates

STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS

Statistics

We have 24660 registered users
The newest registered user is LGdsKivaaraKurosaki

Our users have posted a total of 1504692 messages in 29121 subjects

GASR Time

Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:39 am
I apologize a ton if I posted this on the wrong forum. I currently decided to get back on GASR and this is the most active I've ever been.

So I make DP edits. I'm currently working on some examples for my shop and I need tips on sizing. Should I edit on the full size of the screenie(746x10124px) then resize it to 160x220px or just edit on 160x220px???

I've done both but my imagines just don't seem to be sharp enough. Maybe it's just my painting technique? I have all the DPs I've done so far on my profile.
Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:56 am
The workspace size depends on the artist itself; if you like working on the Hi-res screenies or working on a cropped and resized version. What matters is the resolution you have it set to in the program (Sai, photoshop, gimp, ect). It's default resolution is usually set at 75; to get a crispier picture. You can do this by clicking on the resize image and you will see it (I think last option), resolution. Change that to either 200 (300 preferred) or more; I know in photoshop it resizes the picture, but you can keep the original size by unchecking and re-checking the proportions boxes. 

Edit: Here are the links on how to change the resolution for your image quality. 

Photoshop

Sai

GIMP

Well you get the idea. :3

○Cleaning up your shop and removing spam or inappropriate comments
○Deleting the poll from your shop
○Retrieving your shop after it has been accidentally deleted
○Reporting a shop that contains images that are NSFW (Not Safe For Work) or not PSE-friendly
○Reporting a shop that offers a service that is not allowed on GASR
○Questions regarding GASR forum rules
Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:03 am
Depends on your resolution settings. Even then, sometimes playing with the sharp filter on whatever program you use will do the trick as well.

Change Resolution Settings for Photoshop: http://akvis.com/en/photoshop-tips/resolution.php
Change Resolution Settings for Sai: http://lopololo.deviantart.com/art/Changing-the-dpi-in-Paint-Tool-SAI-315934587
Change Resolution Settings for GIMP: http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tutorial-quickie-scale-print.html

It's better for the most part to edit/paint on a bigger canvas and then scale down, because it's harder to add in the fine details on a tiny canvas, but it's always up to your preference. :)
Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:02 am
Thanks to you both. My most recent DP was done full sized then scaled down. It's the one I have as an example on my shop(link in my signature).

Personally I like working on big canvases a lot more but so far resizing DPs make them look...not good. But yeah I'll try changing the resolution. Do I change before resizing or before doing the actual painting/editing?
Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:59 am
Not a problem!

Change the resolution before doung the repaint/editing.

○Reporting a shop that contains images that are NSFW (Not Safe For Work) or not PSE-friendly
Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:37 pm
@ItsHisK wrote:
Thanks to you both. My most recent DP was done full sized then scaled down. It's the one I have as an example on my shop(link in my signature).

Personally I like working on big canvases a lot more but so far resizing DPs make them look...not good. But yeah I'll try changing the resolution. Do I change before resizing or before doing the actual painting/editing?

Do it when you're creating a new canvas. The option will be there under the sizing options.

Some people like the softer effect they get when they scale it down, but I always save the original after sizing it down, and then save another version with a 10-20% sharpness to it. (Give or take, depending on how sharp you want it and how much quality you lose after sizing.)

Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:25 am
When I create a new canvas to draw from scratch, it's always on 300dpi. But do I change it if I open a screenie which will be a png image at about 72 or 75 dpi? @Queen

Thanks again @Kiki
Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:18 am
Yes, you change it or it won't be any higher quality than what you get now.  72 is default in photoshop, at
least in cs6 extended it is. (That's the one I use.)

Just go to edit > image size like you would normally if you were changing the size and the option for the resolution
should come up as well.  Same goes if you're using Sai, since you still haven't said which program you're using, lol.

Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:46 am
Thanks and my bad DX. I use both Sai and PS CS6 extended. I edit on Sai and add text and resize on Photoshop. So once I finish editing, so I open the PSD file on PS or if I flatten it down and save as a png(once more) so I change the res again before I resize in PhotoShop?
Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:48 pm
Not sure if you already answered your own question, but once you change the resolution in either Sai or Photoshop; you don't have to change it again. It is already saved with the said resolution you chose and can open it up in any program.

Today at 6:03 pm
Page 1 of 1