Gasrforum
HomeLandingContactStaffMemberlistSend creditsRegisterLog in

GASR News

Winter Scavenger Hunt
Dec 5, 2016 #event

Our winter scavenger is out! Click here to join the hunt. This event runs from Dec 6-20.

Xmas Charity Volunteers
Nov 28, 2016 #event

It's almost time for our annual GASR Xmas Charity Event, and we are in need of volunteers who would be willing to make artwork for GASR's donors. If you are interested, please click here to sign up. The deadline to become a volunteer is Dec 10.

GASR Secret Santa
Nov 14, 2016 #event

It's time for GASR's annual holiday event: the Secret Santa gift exchange! Get your hot cocoa to marshmallow ratio perfect and your mistletoe hung up because it's time to get those art gifts wrapped and under the tree for a happy holiday surprise. Click here to join the fun, and make sure to sign up before the 25th of November!

Halloween Scavenger Hunt
Oct 29, 2016 #event

It's about to get spooky with the Halloween scavenger hunt! Put on your masks, makeup, and your witch hats because everyone can join! Young, old, artist, non-artist, passer-by, moose, potatoes, or any living or my favorite… non-living may join. Click here to join the fun. This event lasts from Oct 31st - Nov 14th. Check out the cool prizes!

Artist of the Moment

TOUHOU

Visit my shop View my bio

I'm a self taught artist/editor and was once an Instagram blogger but now I spend most of my times on IMVU doing DP art and maintaining a steady # of orders from various amazing people! One of my best accomplishments was winning 1st place locally in a Japanese Quiz Bowl in my state and won a chance to compete nationally against other states in Washington D.C. and so here I am still embracing my studies in Japanese although sometimes people think I look or am Japanese because I'm Asian haha. My favorite things are Anime, Utaite, Vocaloid, KPop, Fashion (especially Minimalism and Harajuku), Video Games, and Aesthetic Art :)

Online Staff

Staff Status Updates

STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS

Statistics

We have 24643 registered users
The newest registered user is SinfullyBeats

Our users have posted a total of 1504022 messages in 29106 subjects

GASR Time

Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:28 pm
I just got my very first drawing tablet yesterday, Wacome Intuos Small, and I was planning on installing Paint Tool Sai. When I went to google it to find it all that was popping up were places to buy it. Is it not free? O.O Because I was pretty sure it was free... If it is indeed not free is there a program out there that is free that I can use? I currently have GIMP, but I didn't know if that worked well with tablets...
Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:41 pm
Weeeell, SAI isn't exactly free but many people find places where you can download it for free- kinda like Photoshop, which costs $$$ but people find links and/or ways to get it for free.

Either way, some good programs include:
-Gimp (I think there are settings that can be changed to fit a tablet)
-Krita
-Inkscape Illustrator
-MyPaint
-PictBear

I suggest getting SAI though... Haven't tried any of them other than PS and Gimp which I used for a day, SAI is by far my best personally

If you have a deeper look around for a free version of SAI or just buy it instead- it's so much cheaper than other programs and does a LOT- you'll be alright.
Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:43 pm
Yeah there is free versions, but they're cracked and can sometimes have virus', SAI is great imo, if you can buy it totally go for it it's relatively cheap and worth the money. Or you could always ask a friend who has bought SAI if they'd be willing to lend you their serial code/number.

Otherwise you could always opt. out for
- http://firealpaca.com/en
- http://drawpile.net/download/ (even though it's like iscribble it still has a lot of cool tools + pen pressure and you don't have to draw w/others)
- https://krita.org/download/krita-desktop/
- http://mypaint.intilinux.com/

And I'm sure there's a ton of other programs you could try out as well

Goodluck finding a program that you like!

@Flix wrote:
I play too much league and I need jesus.

Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:46 pm
Seeing as I don't have the money to buy Sai, just spent it all on the tablet, I will have to test around to find one I like x.x

Thank you both for the help! ^.^
Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:19 pm
I'm also on the Sai train.  I've never used any other program for drawing.
(I tried photoshop once but I tend to only use that for animations and other
stuff.)

There are some artists on dA that will give cracked versions of sai away with tons of
custom brushes that they've made and whatnot already included.  that's how I got mine
and I've had it for a few years now without issues.  shouldn't be hard to find one with a
quick search.  ( I don't remember who I got mine from, sorry. D: )

A lot of people love Sai for the one thing.  /had to open up the program to find the word.
The stabilizers.  It helps keep your lines and stuff smooth.  I don't use them, because I
never knew what it was for and kept it at 0, and i'm a dumbass for that, but I mean IF YOU
NEED HELP keeping smooth lines, that's a good feature for you.

I hear GIMP is pretty good if you're willing to play with the settings often until you get it
just right, but I don't have much experience with it.  I briefly used it back in 2009 for
animations and switched to photoshop soon after.
Today at 3:14 pm
Page 1 of 1