Gasrforum
HomeLandingContactStaffMemberlistSend creditsRegisterLog in

GASR News

Xmas Charity Volunteers
Nov 28, 2016 #event

It's almost time for our annual GASR Xmas Charity Event, and we are in need of volunteers who would be willing to make artwork for GASR's donors. If you are interested, please click here to sign up. The deadline to become a volunteer is Dec 10.

GASR Secret Santa
Nov 14, 2016 #event

It's time for GASR's annual holiday event: the Secret Santa gift exchange! Get your hot cocoa to marshmallow ratio perfect and your mistletoe hung up because it's time to get those art gifts wrapped and under the tree for a happy holiday surprise. Click here to join the fun, and make sure to sign up before the 25th of November!

Halloween Scavenger Hunt
Oct 29, 2016 #event

It's about to get spooky with the Halloween scavenger hunt! Put on your masks, makeup, and your witch hats because everyone can join! Young, old, artist, non-artist, passer-by, moose, potatoes, or any living or my favorite… non-living may join. Click here to join the fun. This event lasts from Oct 31st - Nov 14th. Check out the cool prizes!

Breast Cancer Awareness
Oct 17, 2016 #event

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. The event mods have created an event for everyone to show support to those who have been affected by breast cancer. Click here to join.

Artist of the Moment

TOUHOU

Visit my shop View my bio

I'm a self taught artist/editor and was once an Instagram blogger but now I spend most of my times on IMVU doing DP art and maintaining a steady # of orders from various amazing people! One of my best accomplishments was winning 1st place locally in a Japanese Quiz Bowl in my state and won a chance to compete nationally against other states in Washington D.C. and so here I am still embracing my studies in Japanese although sometimes people think I look or am Japanese because I'm Asian haha. My favorite things are Anime, Utaite, Vocaloid, KPop, Fashion (especially Minimalism and Harajuku), Video Games, and Aesthetic Art :)

Online Staff

Staff Status Updates

STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS

Statistics

We have 24602 registered users
The newest registered user is Hopes

Our users have posted a total of 1501650 messages in 29061 subjects

GASR Time

Tue May 26, 2015 3:47 pm
Hi guys! So im putting this here in hopes that someone out there can help me

Im a a beginner with this graphic art stuff and im slowly working my way to get better with the help of many of you talented people and your tutorials and speedpaints, thanks for that btw. However there is one element im still
struggling with and i havent had luck finding anything helpful for it and thats Dp backgrounds.

Now let me just clear up something here. It would be very easy to just slap one color behind the edit and call it a day but i want to do more then just that and i believe when you put a little effort in the backgrounds the whole thing looks so much better. Now for the most part i been lucky that most of the hair on my edits takes up almost the entire background, but there are times that i want to make the screenie smaller to show more of the body and this is when having a nice background is really important!

Now like alot of people out there i do own a few premade backgrounds that i bought from someone way back when GASR was still in IMVU, so long ago i dont even remember who made them :/ and this is great when im in a pinch, BUT i do plan to apply for the authentic artist badge at some point and i cannot do this using premade backgrounds, so i need to learn to make some nice backgrounds on my own.

Someone did tell me that there was a user named frog, i believe that had a background tut but i have been unable to reach this person here or on imvu, and honestly i dont even know if that person does have said tut. So, heres were all you lovely people come in. Could anyone please give me a helping hand? Point me in the right direction

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. if not a tut maybe some tips and pointers. All help is good help in my opinion. so thanks for reading guys, i look forward to seeing some replies.
Tue May 26, 2015 7:39 pm
@Alexia has a nice effects tut which includes how to add things to the background (I've tagged so hopefully you should be able to just click her name and it'll take you to her profile). But other than that, if you're looking for something really fancy, you can use stock backgrounds for free at put them into your DP. Although you have to make sure that they're stock and not copyrighted. If you google it, you'll find a few :)
Tue May 26, 2015 8:09 pm
Ill take a look at that ty! c: and i dindnt think about stocks, i wonder if thats acceptable for the badge :o
Tue May 26, 2015 9:50 pm
well you have to read the rules tho
-can we make use of it to make profit? (for as bg for premades example)
-can we use it offsite other than the art site (if its from DA)
-should you credit the person that made the stock (some way not needed)
-do you have to link the stock back in your info of premades/badges (some prefer you link the original)

beware that some stock are indeed not watermarked and you still have to buy

The pictures you find on google are all copyrighted

everything is eue

try using fancy brushes and experiment them with overlays and opacity
use the gradient tool on your program to play with what colors fit
thats what i do eue

(Commissions)
"Just because you're trash doesn't mean you can't do great things.
It's called garbage can, not garbage cannot"

Pixel by Katie
Tue May 26, 2015 11:31 pm
Thank you! that was very helpful information c: ill keep experimenting and see what i figure out XD just always think it looks bad lol, when i do it anyway
Wed May 27, 2015 12:11 am
@Mattie wrote:
well you have to read the rules tho
-can we make use of it to make profit? (for as bg for premades example)
-can we use it offsite other than the art site (if its from DA)
-should you credit the person that made the stock (some way not needed)
-do you have to link the stock back in your info of premades/badges (some prefer you link the original)

beware that some stock are indeed not watermarked and you still have to buy

The pictures you find on google are all copyrighted

everything is eue

try using fancy brushes and experiment them with overlays and opacity
use the gradient tool on your program to play with what colors fit
thats what i do eue

^This in a nutshell. If you find stock, you need to review it carefully. Read the artist's rules and conditions for using the stock. Some stock is personal use and not commercial (personal use means you cannot make any profit in any form off of it). I would actually recommend crediting every time you use stock as it shows respect and makes it clear that the background is stock. 99.9% of stock artists ask for credits anyways.

Brushes are good as well, but read the rules for them as well as some may need citation (especially ones that contain images like stamps). I have also seen brushes made a handful of times that are not suitable for commercial use as they contain copyrighted images that the brush maker did not own. This can sometimes lead to people thinking that you inserted the image yourself and that it wasn't a brush.
Wed May 27, 2015 12:20 am
OHHHH wow thanks! That was helpful as well. I know there is a fine line with theft, even if you might not be aware that it qualifies as theft. I really dont want to make any mistakes like that so i greatly appreciate this input!

If its ok ill like to keep this open a little longer just in case someone else has more info c:

Thanks so much to everyone that has replied this is huge help! c:
Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:13 am
being that ive been told to experiment with brushes, anyone know any nice free SAI brushes ?
Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:42 am
http://www.deviantart.com/browse/all/?section=&global=1&q=sai+brushes&offset=0

Try that link and search through to see which brushes you personally like etc., don't forget to read through the descriptions to see what you can/can't do with certain brushes. (i.e. more like the patterned brushes w/roses and those kinds of things) Some aren't even like new brushes, but just brush settings for default brushes.

As for me I don't often download brushes instead I make my own etc., but for the brushes that I have actually downloaded/remember downloading I use these and they're pretty dang spiffy imo
http://fav.me/d75c13u
http://fav.me/d6bj6f9
http://fav.me/d3a1wxc

@Flix wrote:
I play too much league and I need jesus.

Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:57 am
Thank you!!!!!

I think i got all the help i could get out of this so it can be closed c:
Today at 5:17 pm
Page 1 of 1