Gasrforum
HomeLandingContactStaffMemberlistSend creditsRegisterLog in

GASR News

Xmas Charity Volunteers
Nov 28, 2016 #event

It's almost time for our annual GASR Xmas Charity Event, and we are in need of volunteers who would be willing to make artwork for GASR's donors. If you are interested, please click here to sign up. The deadline to become a volunteer is Dec 10.

GASR Secret Santa
Nov 14, 2016 #event

It's time for GASR's annual holiday event: the Secret Santa gift exchange! Get your hot cocoa to marshmallow ratio perfect and your mistletoe hung up because it's time to get those art gifts wrapped and under the tree for a happy holiday surprise. Click here to join the fun, and make sure to sign up before the 25th of November!

Halloween Scavenger Hunt
Oct 29, 2016 #event

It's about to get spooky with the Halloween scavenger hunt! Put on your masks, makeup, and your witch hats because everyone can join! Young, old, artist, non-artist, passer-by, moose, potatoes, or any living or my favorite… non-living may join. Click here to join the fun. This event lasts from Oct 31st - Nov 14th. Check out the cool prizes!

Breast Cancer Awareness
Oct 17, 2016 #event

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. The event mods have created an event for everyone to show support to those who have been affected by breast cancer. Click here to join.

Artist of the Moment

TOUHOU

Visit my shop View my bio

I'm a self taught artist/editor and was once an Instagram blogger but now I spend most of my times on IMVU doing DP art and maintaining a steady # of orders from various amazing people! One of my best accomplishments was winning 1st place locally in a Japanese Quiz Bowl in my state and won a chance to compete nationally against other states in Washington D.C. and so here I am still embracing my studies in Japanese although sometimes people think I look or am Japanese because I'm Asian haha. My favorite things are Anime, Utaite, Vocaloid, KPop, Fashion (especially Minimalism and Harajuku), Video Games, and Aesthetic Art :)

Online Staff

Staff Status Updates

STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS
STATUS

Statistics

We have 24597 registered users
The newest registered user is Tokins

Our users have posted a total of 1501411 messages in 29060 subjects

GASR Time

Mon 23 Jun 2014 - 7:31
Tablets: Questions, Answers, and Guides

Because of the large amount of tablet threads we get, this will be a general tablet discussion/Q&A thread

• Things to consider when comparing Tablets

Levels of sensitivity: This determines how many levels are between the hardest and softest press of the stylus. It measures how accurately the tablet responds to pressure. The higher the number the better. 2048/1024/512 are current standards. 1024 or more is recommended.
    Tilt Sensitivity: This feature allows the tablet to track the 'tilt' of the stylus, allowing for more natural strokes. This is a desired although not deal-breaking feature for the digital artist.
    Resolution: Read this regarding resolution.
    Stylus: Stylus ergonomics are a personal choice. Some stylus need batteries making them both heavier and more problematic than their battery-less counterparts.

Before you buy a Graphics Tablet at Ask.com
  • Tablet Manufacturers

Wacom
    The market leader in tablet technology. Due to their small size, Wacoms Bamboo line are not recommended as they promote drawing from the wrist and carpal tunnel.
    Purchase a larger lower priced alternative below as opposed to a Bamboo if you are constrained by budget.

Monoprice
    Least expensive of the Wacom alternatives. The Monoprice stylus needs a battery making it heavier than Wacoms offering.

Huion
    Another Wacom competitor utilizing a battery in their stylus. Budget-friendly and appealing designs.

Vistablet
    Wacom competitor featuring a battery-free stylus. Higher price point than other Wacom competitors.

Yinova
    Another major Wacom alternative specializing in LCD Tablets.

Last edited by Administrator on Mon 23 Jun 2014 - 7:32; edited 1 time in total
Mon 23 Jun 2014 - 7:32

• User Suggestions

@Mattie wrote:
Here is a nice tutorial how to set up your tablet  c:

Also this this is to make pressure for the tablet on gimp

Pen pressure fix guide for Bamboo users by Nazgul
Nazgul wrote:

This is only for those who have a Bamboo Tablet. I do not know what other tablet's that are out there
but I hope that this serves you well~
I also know there is many resources outside of GASR to help.
But I thought it be nice to find the how to's faster on gasr.

Hints to look for;;
;; A pop window will indicate that the current driver you are using is not functional
;; All of your pen pressure settings are out of whack Like this Its just gone to shit's
;; Your computer does not recognize the Bamboo Tablet

Make sure all Art programs; or any programs you use
How to fix;;

The basic's
Update your driver!
The most simplist thing to solve most Pen Pressure problems
Go to Driver Support > Find your EXACT tablet (Cintiq,Intuos Pro etc) >Download the updated VR for either Apple or Windows

Open up your art program and see if it works~

Now if that doesnt work, try this:
Go to your start menu> Search up Wacom> Click > Finally clear ALL user preferences The window pop up >Restart computer >Open up your art program and see if it works

Hope this was helpfull!!!

Mon 9 Mar 2015 - 2:03
I also want to comment on my own personal experiences with getting a Huion tablet.

http://www.amazon.ca/Huion-H610-Pro-Graphics-Express-keys/dp/B00GWYYXV0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425884331&sr=8-1&keywords=huion

I got the Huion H610 Graphic tablet and I was seriously in love with it when I first got it.
It was sort of annoying to have to recharge the tablet pen though and sometimes I would work with it plugged in which wasn't ideal.

The design was sleek and nice and it had incredible pressure sensitivity which is something I had to get used to.

The driver installation was a bit strange, but I didn't have any problems with it.
I even successfully installed it on my macbook.

I don't know if I got unlucky but less than a month of having this tablet the USB port (which connects to the tablet to the computer) became wonky and loose.

Then it would no longer connect with my computer at all.
So luckily I bought this through amazon so I'm going to get a refund on my money.

But I had a tablet for 7 years, a wacom and that stood the test of time and misuse whereas this one did not.

I really wanted to love this, it was a great value for a tablet.
If you do buy one, buy it through amazon and get warranty for the extra money so you don't waste it getting something that breaks so easily...

Fri 24 Apr 2015 - 11:42
Just letting you know, I've had a Bamboo Create for going on 4 years and I've never gotten carpal tunnel or wrist pains. It sounds like if you're stating that all wacom tablets or most have small active areas and are doing this but it's just the small versions or if you're hand is in a weird angle but that's not the tablets fault if it's flat on the desk/table lol. The Medium -  Large and the simpler tablets like Create, Capture etc are just fine.

Should make it a warning that any instrument that relates to drawing like use of pens/pencils/other tablet brands can cause carpal tunnel and wrist pains as well.

You can delete my post once you've read it. Just wanted to let you know is all.
Wed 29 Jul 2015 - 0:04

Pretty helpful, especially since I'm looking to get a new tablet soon and this helped me pick out which one.
Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 10:43
Sai on Mac
using Parallels

Hey guys, if you're like me and your a happy Apple user, then you're probably sad that your tablet pressure doesn't work properly in Sai. I didn't want to have to find a new program to use because I love Sai! Well I have a solution for you and that solution is a program called Parallels! Parallels allows you to run windows on your Mac. I've been using it for years now and I do not regret buying!

What you need to know before buying!

* Parallels isn't free, but it's worth it if you're an Apple and Sai user.
* You will need a copy of windows. It can be a disk or disk image. I had a copy made from a friend.
* Check the computer requirements and make sure that you are purchasing the right one for you.
* Make sure you're computer can handle running a parallels program. Check the space.

Pen Pressure!

Once you have purchased and installed your parallels program you will need to install your pen tablet drivers for WINDOWS. If you install the Mac driver it will not work! I am using a Wacom Intuos tablet and I can find my driver along with all other Wacom drivers here.

If you find that your pen pressure is still not working you will need to activate your tablet so that it is running with your windows.

Your tablet pressure settings should now be working! If you have any questions please feel free to message me. I can help you figure out whatever it may be that you're struggling with. I had to find all this out on my own and it was frustrating! I'm happy to help you.

Since people ask me how I am running Sai with pressure on my Mac.
Thu 14 Jul 2016 - 17:18
not sure if this is the right thread for this ; ; my pressure sensitivity just randomly stopped working so I updated the drivers and tried to fix it and yatayatayat but nothing worked so I figured it was the tablet (wacom bamboo capture) and I ordered a new one and it just came in the mail yesterday (wacom intuos draw) and everything was working fine again and blahblabhblah andthen it did the same t6hing again and Ive tried everything and Im just so frustrated ; ;;;;;
Thu 14 Jul 2016 - 17:30
@Plant have you tried restarting the service? Wacom tablets have this problem rather often but it's pretty easy to fix.
If you're using windows, just go to the task manager and click "services". In that list there should be one called "wacom professional service". just right click it and restart it after closing whatever software you use to draw. When it restarts open again and the pressure should be fine.

Thu 14 Jul 2016 - 17:38
@Mar wrote:
@Plant have you tried restarting the service? Wacom tablets have this problem rather often but it's pretty easy to fix.
If you're using windows, just go to the task manager and click "services". In that list there should be one called "wacom professional service". just right click it and restart it after closing whatever software you use to draw. When it restarts open again and the pressure should be fine.
That worked tysm ; u ;
Today at 6:12
Page 1 of 1